Converting CR2 files shield unexpected result

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
Sacha2010

Converting CR2 files shield unexpected result

Post by Sacha2010 »

Hello,
I have a problem converting CR2 files (canon Raw image formats). The converted image appears almost completely dark (as if grossely underexposed like a -2 or -3 even compared to the conversion shield by the canon software without any modifications)

IM Version: WIN 6.6.1-2-Q16 (executable installer)

I have tryed with: Shade (Off/On) - depth (8/16) - colorspace (sRGB ... at least this is what the camera says is using). All gives the same result...

As soon as I figure out how to put an image here I'll show examples

Many thanks in advance for any hint and Thanks to the developers for a great work!!

regards
Alejandro
Bonzo

Re: Converting CR2 files shield unexpected result

Post by Bonzo »

Its a problem something to do with DCRAW changing?
There is a way around it but IM looks for the wrong temporary image name and IM is not going to be modified to sort the problem.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15605&p=55544#p55544
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

ImageMagick creates a linear colorspace by default and expects you to apply your own color corrections. To do this automatically, change -4 to -6 for the dng:decode delegate in the delegates.xml ImageMagick configuration file. Now convert your image again.
Sacha2010

Post by Sacha2010 »

Thanks for the replies!
magick wrote:ImageMagick creates a linear colorspace by default and expects you to apply your own color corrections. To do this automatically, change -4 to -6 for the dng:decode delegate in the delegates.xml ImageMagick configuration file. Now convert your image again.
This corrected the problem. Works like a charm. Thanks again!

regards
Alejandro
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

What does -4 and -6 mean ?
In my case -4 is underexposed and -6 is overexposed; -5 would probably be just right but it does not work.

But saying that the sky from -4 on the -6 image would be great!
el_supremo

Post by el_supremo »

Hi Bonzo,
Just type "dcraw" as a command in a DOS box and it will list all the program's optional arguments. The one you need is probably the -w option.

Pete
Sorry, my ISP shutdown all personal webspace so my MagickWand Examples in C is offline.
See my message in this topic for a link to a zip of all the files.
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

Thanks for the tip Pete.

The standard line I have in the delegates file is:

Code: Select all

command="dcraw.exe -4 -w -O "%u.ppm" "%i""
This produced the first image posted; taking the -w out I ended up with an image tinted orange.

I then tried adding and removing the -W "Don't automaticaly brighten the image" but this had little effect.

I also had a play with -b and -s without success; I think in this sort of case its better to use a GUI program.

The reason I was originaly looking into this was for the "dead pixel" removal and I see that dcraw has an option for that -P which I will look into when I get a bit more time.