error: Postscript delegate failed; missing an image filename

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
uhcafigdc

error: Postscript delegate failed; missing an image filename

Post by uhcafigdc »

Two computers, both having installed ImageMagick 6.6.4 Q-16 on Windows XP SP3.

Trying to convert the same PDF files to TIFF, using the same commands. One of the computers converts it successfully, and the other computer fails.

The computer in question produces the error when trying to convert any PDF file to TIFF, and it seems to convert other formats such as JPG to TIFF just fine.

Code: Select all

C:\Documents and Settings\Vivian>"J:\_IT\ImageMagick-6.6.4-Q16\convert.exe" J:\_IT\A-1.pdf J:\_IT\A-1.pdf.tiff 

Magick: `%s' (%d) "gswin32c.exe" -q -dQUIET -dPARANOIDSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -d NOPROMPT -dMaxBitmap=500000000 -dEPSCrop -dAlignToPixels=0 -dGridFitTT=2 "-sDEVICE=pnmraw" -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 "-r72x72"  "-sOutputFile=C:/DOCUME~1/Vivian/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-rnkKjpAG" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/Vivian/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-chbXiK9a" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/Vivian/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-MnNLUDvS" @ error/utility.c/SystemCommand/2093.

Magick: Postscript delegate failed `J:\_IT\A-1.pdf': No such file or directory @ error/pdf.c/ReadPDFImage/645.

Magick: missing an image filename `J:\_IT\A-1.pdf.tiff' @ error/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/2953.
uhcafigdc

Re: error: Postscript delegate failed; missing an image file

Post by uhcafigdc »

I solved this problem. The feature to convert PDF requires GhostScript is installed.
kbirecki
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: error: Postscript delegate failed; missing an image file

Post by kbirecki »

For future readers, GhostScript is required, but one thing that can get overlooked is that ImageMagick uses some registry entries pointing to GhostScript. When GhostScript is installed,the installation instructions direct you to create an environment variable - GS_PROG. If the GhostScript forlder is moved or renamed, even if the GS_PROG variable is changed accordingly, ImageMagick will experience a problem stating "missing an image file" or "file not found". There is a simple solution that I found and I made it my first blog entry: http://hallsoftech.blogspot.com/2011/07 ... image.html.
Hope this helps someone.