"Local contrast" filter - required startup pointers

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
markmarques
Authentication code: 8675308

"Local contrast" filter - required startup pointers

Post by markmarques »

I do not know if this is the right place ( in the forum that is )
to ask if convert.exe is able to "simulate" a "loca constrast" filter ...

What I am asking is something similar to "Tone Mapping" algorithms but in a simpler form.
Where do I start ?

Simply putting :
I have several photos that require some work ( mainly in the dark areas) but they require several corrections ...
My idea is to use the HDRI option in order to avoid posterization ...

Any ideas or pointers regarding the "local contrast" approach ?
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: "Local contrast" filter - required startup pointers

Post by fmw42 »

If you use or install Cygwin, then you can try many of my tonemapping and other scripts. Otherwise, you can at least read some of the concepts that I used in the script descriptions.

The simplest concept is to make a mask by thresholding your image to isolate the dark areas you want to work in. Then process the whole image for improving the contrast in the dark areas. Then use the mask to composite the original image and processed image so that in the dark areas you get the modified image and everywhere else you get the original image. You can even ramp (blur) the edges of the mask so that you get a smooth transition.