Text on Partial Transparency

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
Neon
Authentication code: 6789

Text on Partial Transparency

Post by Neon »

I'm trying to generate (fully opaque) text from a file and place it on a generated semi-transparent image. Such as this:

I'm trying to do this on the Command Line in Linux.

Code: Select all

$ convert -version
Version: ImageMagick 6.7.5-6 2012-08-11 Q16 ...
Features: OpenMP 
So the closest I have come, is this:

convert -size 640x640 -alpha set xc:"rgba(0,127,255,0.5)" background.png
Note: Partially transparent image. just what I want.

convert -size 640x -background "rgb(0,127,255)" -gravity Center -font Nimbus-Sans-Regular -pointsize 18 caption:@text_file.txt foreground.png
Note: Everything is opaque. That's what I want for the text, but not for it's background.

In theory, the next step would be to overlay the two images (the second image on the first) and emit the final image. But since the second image isn't right, I haven't gotten that far.
Most of what I've tried on the second line has generated amusing errors. For example, attempting to put any sort of transparency in the second line results in a black-on-black image. Say, by saying "-background none" or "xc:none" with or without a previous "-alpha set" argument. In fact, anytime the second line adds a canvas (via "xc" at least), then the foreground picture is not emitted, and a "temp-0.png" and "temp-1.png" picture are instead emitted. Attempts to go with modifying the alpha channel in the background (e.g. "-background 'rgba(0,127,255,0.5)'") are ignored, even if "-alpha set" is before it.

To recap: I want to overlay text onto a partially-transparent image and emit as a png file. The background image (semi-transparent blue) works good. The text image (black text from file onto (preferably) straight transparent) does not work. I'm looking for a proper way to generate the text (as fully opaque) for overlay onto the background image. Bonus points if you show the command for the overlay itself. Does not need to be a single line, but that's always nice to have (fewer intermediate temporary files to clean up afterward).
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Text on Partial Transparency

Post by fmw42 »

try this, which works for me on IM 6.8.9.5 Q16 Mac OSX, with different font and caption

convert -size 640x -background "rgba(0,127,255,0)" -gravity Center -font Nimbus-Sans-Regular -pointsize 18 caption:@text_file.txt foreground.png

It that does not work, you may need to upgrade IM. Your version is over 100 versions old.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Thanks for your time, Fred. But it didn't work for me.
Time to force an upgrade, since my distro version has reached EOL and isn't receiving updated packages.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

Did you use rgb or rgba? You need the latter?

Sorry I had a type. Try this

convert -size 200x -background "rgba(0,127,255,0.5)" -gravity Center -font Helvetica -pointsize 18 caption:TESTING tmp.png
Neon

Post by Neon »

Unfortunately, I had tried that with the other stuff (such as separately setting the alpha channel), both setting the alpha channel in "rgba" to 1, 0, and numbers in between. It appears it's a problem with my version of imagemagick.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Success!
I upgraded imagemagick and was able to get the one-liner Fred posted, to work.

convert -size 640x -background "rgba(0,127,255,0.75)" -gravity Center -font Nimbus-Sans-L -pointsize 18 caption:@text_file.txt final_image.png;

$ convert -version
Version: ImageMagick 6.8.6-3 2014-04-08 Q16 ...
Features: DPC OpenMP Modules
Delegates: bzlib djvu fftw fontconfig freetype gslib jng jp2 jpeg lcms lzma openexr pango png ps rsvg tiff wmf x xml zlib
Thanks much, Fred!