Questions from a new user

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
MarkWalsh
Authentication code: 6789

Questions from a new user

Post by MarkWalsh »

I'm just starting to play around with IM, and am having a few initial stumbling blocks.

I need to convert hi-res images (usually CMYK EPS files with clipping paths) to various other formats. On my first attempt, I had success converting a RGB file to a png file and having it clipped and trimmed the way I wanted and it looked good, but if I try the same with a CMYK file, the results are way too dark, and don't look at all like the colors in the CMYK file.

I have read up on changing the delegates.xml file, but have not had any success yet - the resulting png file still looks the same no matter what I have tried (adding either '-dUseCIEColor' or '-dUseCIEColor=false' to the delegate file). I have located 2 different locations for the delegates file, and have updated both of those each time. Do I need to do anything after replacing those files? Can someone help point me in the correct direction on what I need to do to fix this? I am on OSX btw.

One of the other problems I need to work with, is occasionally someone saves their EPS file from Photoshop with vector info (which they are not supposed to do). I was also looking into the output of the 'identify' command to see if I could determine if a file was saved this way, but I didn't see anything that I could tell indicated whether this was done or not.

Also, is there any way to identify the names of any extra channels? I sometimes need to find a channel to use as a mask by it's name.

Thanks for any input anyone can provide me.
MarkWalsh
Authentication code: 6789

Re: Questions from a new user

Post by MarkWalsh »

Update: I think I now have the color conversion working properly! I don't know what I changed but it looks like it is now working.