Useless installation files deleteable?

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
bensto
Authentication code: 13

Useless installation files deleteable?

Post by bensto »

When I compare the current ImageMagick installation folder with on older version I found some files in the older which are not longer installed:

quantization-table.xml
import.exe
display.exe
at100.dll

Are they meanwhile useless?
Are they removed?

Ben
dlemstra
Authentication code: 6789

Re: Useless installation files deleteable?

Post by dlemstra »

We have recently automated the creation of installers and quantization-table.xml was only included in the portable release. I will add this to the installer and include it in the portable release again. This file is not necessary for ImageMagick to function properly but still is a good example of a jpeg quantization table. Import.exe and display.exe are no longer included because we stopped supporting X11 under Windows a while ago. And we also don't need atl100.dll anymore.
.NET + ImageMagick = Magick.NET https://github.com/dlemstra/Magick.NET, @MagickNET, Donate
Authentication code: 1151

Post by 246246 »

dlemstra wrote:Import.exe and display.exe are no longer included because we stopped supporting X11 under Windows a while ago.
Cygwin still provide import.exe and display.exe at least in their latest 6.9.1-3. Does it means these are not reliable on Cygwin?
And is it because you found some technical limit or difficulty in X11 on Windows, or just to avoid beginners question like "display doesn't work on Windows"? :D
dlemstra
Authentication code: 6789

Post by dlemstra »

We would like to avoid questions about those utilities and we had some issues linking them with a recent version of the .lib file in Visual Studio. And because there are not many users on Windows (besides Cygwin) that use X11 we decided to drop support for it. It might still work in Cygwin.
.NET + ImageMagick = Magick.NET https://github.com/dlemstra/Magick.NET, @MagickNET, Donate