convert jpg to vector

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
RCinSTP
Authentication code: 6789

convert jpg to vector

Post by RCinSTP »

I have some .jpg files similar to the file at the URL below which I need to convert to vector. The number of colors in the image can be reduced or whatever needs to be done to simplify the images before vectorizing. Any advice on plugins or processes will be appreciated.

snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: convert jpg to vector

Post by snibgo »

ImageMagick won't convert raster to vector, except in the trivial and horrible sense of converting every pixel into a small circle.

"potrace" can, and that's what I use. Other similar programs are available.

However, your example is a map with textures. ImageMagick might be useful to remove the textures before vectorizing.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
RCinSTP
Authentication code: 6789

Post by RCinSTP »

Thank You very much for the advice! I will try using potrace. Do you have any suggestions for removing the textures or whatever before using potrace?
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

It would need experimentation that I don't have time for right now. Don't use JPEG as the source unless you have no choice. The dark-blue "ticks" could be changed to the same light blue as the surrounding. Similarly the "grass" symbols on the right, and the text "385m".
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com