Fred's film grain

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
wlange
Authentication code: 1151

Fred's film grain

Post by wlange »

Regarding Fred's filmgrain script under http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/ ... /index.php

How to compare real film grain plates with script input values? For example, say I'd like to apply an ISO 800 film grain onto an image. Is there a way to achieve this except for trial and error (i.e. compare with some reference) until it halfway matches? S.o. else might have already done this.
Programmers often think, they have invented the theory of everything. In fact they usually have just incorrectly solved a tiny subproblem.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Fred's film grain

Post by fmw42 »

Do you know the mapping from ISO 800 to its film noise characteristics? If not, then trial and error.
wlange

Post by wlange »

No. Better using film grain plates then (if it should match certain characteristics). Thanks for your answer.
Programmers often think, they have invented the theory of everything. In fact they usually have just incorrectly solved a tiny subproblem.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

The appearance of grain depends on the film speed, emulsion type, film developer, contrast of paper and (perhaps most importantly) the quality of the enlarging lens.

In principle, you can scan a print, and use that to adjust an image giving it the same grain texture as the print. I've seen examples online, but I've never liked the results.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
wlange

Post by wlange »

Yes, that sounds like an unresolved problem. Nothing to get by with a few lines of code. All those apps prentending to reproduce real film looks must be wrong then (at best close).
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

There is software available to recreate grain effects, I did try out dxo-filmpack as I had a link to download it in a magazine once for free. But I could not see the point in adding grain.
wlange

Post by wlange »

@Bonzo, DxO-FilmPack is a PS plugin (there are many others with similar capabilities), which cannot be applied via command line. DMMD's Photoshop Host SDK might be the way to go, if PS plugins should be used, though.

http://dmmd.net/main_wp/software-develo ... -host-sdk/
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

An interesting link but four years old now and only works with jpg files.

Anyway the dxo link was just an example of what I had tried. Good luck with your project.
wlange

Post by wlange »

After fiddling around some time I think I will go with creating hald images using GIMP based on my LUTs, then using convert to apply the output to my imagery. I'll then put some noise on top of this using noise plates. I'll adjust the latter by looking at the result rather then trying to match what certain analogue film types are supposed to look. In the end nobody will care if it's say Fuji Superia 800...

Many thanks again.