What are these huge files when I use Imagemagick?

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
Jean-Pierre Coulon
Authentication code: 1151

What are these huge files when I use Imagemagick?

Post by Jean-Pierre Coulon »

When I type magick -quality 100% -density 72 myimage.pdf myimage.jpg strange files with tens of MB size are created in C:\Documents and Settings\Coulon\Local Settings\Temp e.g. magick-3372SqB0j-S-pBcL1 size 29 MB. What are they here for? They are not automatically deleted when the conversion has finished.
snibgo

Re: What are these huge files when I use Imagemagick?

Post by snibgo »

These are temporary files, either the input PDF passed to Ghostscript, or raster images created by GS passed back to IM.

IM should automatically delete the images after processing. If there is a major problem that crashes IM, it won't delete them.

You can manually delete the files whenever IM isn't running, eg as part of your shutdown or startup process. It is good housekeeping to regularly delete files in %TEMP%.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
Jean-Pierre Coulon

Post by Jean-Pierre Coulon »

Thanks. Some of them have have the "read only" attribute and I have to change this with ATTRIB -R <stuff>.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

If you can't delete them manually, then IM will have the same problem. There may be a setting on the directory that makes created files read-only.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com