Setting Compose Attribute to None in a Photoshop file

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
cspears2002
Authentication code: 1151

Setting Compose Attribute to None in a Photoshop file

Post by cspears2002 »

I have a Photoshop file with two layers, and I want to make the top layer invisible. If I switch that layer off and then run 'identify -verbose' on the file, I saw that the compose attribute was set to 'None'. When the layer is on, compose is set to 'Over'. I have tried multiple ways to set the compose attribute:

Code: Select all

convert.exe -set compose 'None' myPSD.psd myPSD2.psd

convert.exe -set option:compose 'None' myPSD.psd myPSD2.psd

convert.exe -compose None myPSD.psd myPSD2.psd

convert.exe -compose "None" myPSD.psd myPSD2.psd
I think I am running out of different variations to try! Any help is appreciated.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Setting Compose Attribute to None in a Photoshop file

Post by fmw42 »

ImageMagick does not write to or change PS compose settings as far as I know. If it did, then settings such as expressed with -set would have to come after reading the input PSD. But I don't think that capability exists within IM. ImageMagick is mostly a pixel processor. Perhaps you can do that with EXIFTOOL, which manipulates meta data. But I suspect you would need some special tool that works on PSD files.
cspears2002
Authentication code: 1151

Post by cspears2002 »

Thanks for the reply! I do have exiftool as well. I can give that a go and see what happens.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

To do that in ImageMagick, you would have to extract the two layers and recomposite them and then save again as PSD. You cannot just use -set to change compose settings in PSD files. I really suspect you would need a PSD specific editor. I do not know of any tool that does that in command line mode. GIMP may allow you to do that and you would then need a GIMP script or a PSD action script.