Batch conversion

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
UliW
Authentication code: 1151

Batch conversion

Post by UliW »

Dear All,
I would like to convert files which are in one directory to another (resizing, format conversion and put a text into the picture). I managed to write for every command a command line which worked for one file but not for all. I am using ImageMagick 7.0 and Windows 10.

The conversion for one file is

C:\Programme\ImageMagick-7.0.6-Q16\magick C:\temp\Bildquelle\test1.jpg -compress LZW C:\temp\bildablage\test1.tif

C:\Programme\ImageMagick-7.0.6-Q16\magick C:\temp\Bildbearbeitung\test1.tif -fill black -pointsize 120 -font arrial -annotate +100+200 %f C:\temp\Bildumbenennung\test1_bearb.tif

C:\Programme\ImageMagick-7.0.6-Q16\magick C:\temp\Bildbearbeitung\*test1.tif -resize 16% C:\temp\bildgroesse\test1_og.tif

Now I want to convert all (e.g. 20) files and replaced “test1.jpg/test1.tif” with “*.jpg/*.tif”; “*”as a wild card. No reaction.
I have read http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/windows/#file_handling but I have not understood it. Shall I use “%%a” instead of “*” or what else is necessary to do?

Perhaps someone can help me
Thanks in advance
Uli
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Batch conversion

Post by fmw42 »

If you only need the final result test1_og.tif, then you can process a full directory of images using mogrify. See http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/basics/#mogrify

#create a new directory to hold the output images (path2/outputfolder)
#cd to directory holding input images

Code: Select all

magick mogrify -format tif -path path2/outputfolder -fill black -pointsize 120 -font arial -annotate +100+200 "%f" -resize 16% -compress LZW *.jpg
UliW

Post by UliW »

Dear
thank you for your answer.

I have read the site you recommended before, but later I was told that with IM v7 only "magick" can be used.
Therefore I wrote the command line:
C:\Programme\ImageMagick-7.0.6-Q16\magick C:\temp\Bildquelle\test1.jpg -compress LZW C:\temp\bildablage\test1.tif and it works for o n e file.

I have tried your command line only for the format conversation and the compression (the three different steps (format conversion; resize; put name in picture) should not be mixed and they have all different input and output directories)):

mogrify -format tif -path C:\temp\bildablage -compress LZW *.jpg

and no reaction (for sure), because I had not defined the path which holds the input files. How do I define the directory holding the input files?

But is there no other way with IM v7.0? My command line works with one file but what is to do to use it for all files in one directory?

Thanks
Uli
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

You have to create a new directory to put your output image via your OS. ImageMagick does not create it. Once it is created, then in mogrify supply the path to the already created output directory. Your command looks fine, except you have to create your output directory before running mogrify. There is no reason you cannot do all your commands in on command line. There is no issue with mixing them.

However if you need to save each step to a different directory rather than just the final result, then you cannot use mogrify. You would have to write a loop in your OS that would access each image, do each step and +write path/image.suffix to the directory you want it to be saved.

See
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/files/#write
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/comma ... .php#write
UliW

Post by UliW »

Dear fmw 42,

Is there no possibility to do that kind of batch conversion with IM 7.0 for all files instead of only one?
I read on the web site of ImageMagick 7.0 under Command Changes: "To reduce the footprint of the command-line utilities, these utilities (i.e. mogrify) are symbolic links to the magick utility." So I think it must be possible.

Thanks
Uli
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

In IM 7, you must add magick before all other commands such as mogrify, except for convert. So If you want to do mogrify, it would be

magick mogrify -format tif -path path2/outputfolder -fill black -pointsize 120 -font arial -annotate +100+200 "%f" -resize 16% -compress LZW *.jpg
If you want to do something else, then please clarify what it is you want to do. If you need to write images from each function to a separate directory for every input image, then you will need to create loop over each image and process that image with magick (formerly convert in IM 6) and use +write to save results of each step to different directories. Mogrify can not write multiple output images for a given input image.
UliW

Post by UliW »

Dear fmw42,
thank you for your answer, I think I have not specified my question enough.
Let us start again.

ooooo

I have three different command lines written with IM 7. They can not be put together, because they have nothing to do with each other. For instance I don’t want to resize the photo which has its file name on it.
Therefore all command-lines have different input and different output files. Neither the directories of the input nor the directories of the output files can be changed; they are fixed.
The command-lines are

1)
C:\Programme\ImageMagick-7.0.6-Q16\magick C:\temp\bildquelle\test1.jpg -compress LZW C:\temp\bildablage\test1.tif

Input file C:\temp\bildquelle
Output file C:\temp\bildablage

2)
C:\Programme\ImageMagick-7.0.6-Q16\magick C:\temp\bildbearbeitung\test1.tif -fill black -pointsize 120 -font arrial -annotate +100+200 %f C:\temp\bildumbenennung\test1_bearb.tif

Input file C:\temp\bildbearbeitung
Output file C:\temp\bildumbenennung

3)
C:\Programme\ImageMagick-7.0.6-Q16\magick C:\temp\bildfreistellung\test1.tif -resize 16% C:\temp\bildgroesse\test1_og.tif

Input file C:\temp\bildfreistellung
Output file C:\temp\bildgroesse

oooooo

I am using windows 10 and prompt for the execution of the command lines. All command-lines work well for one file in the directory.
I want to manipulate the command-lines in such a way that I can do the operation for all files in one directory. So my problem is three times the same.

Starting with IM I read a lot of using “mogrify” “convert” and other commands. My problem was that I had no idea how to define the input file.
So I was happy with IM 7 because the construction of the command-line was different.
Now you always speak about mogrify but I still have the problem that I do not know how to define the input path. Reading your yesterdays answer (You have to create a new directory to put your output image via your OS. ImageMagick does not create it. Once it is created, then in mogrify supply the path to the already created output directory. Your command looks fine, except you have to create your output directory before running mogrify) I have tried it, but with no result. Can you re-write for instance the following command for using mogrify with IM 7 or can yougive me an example?

C:\Programme\ImageMagick-7.0.6-Q16\magick C:\temp\bildquelle\test1.jpg -compress LZW C:\temp\bildablage\test1.tif

oooooo

When I install IM 7 the installation of mogrify was optional (with the legacy box) so it is not necessary. Or am I wrong?
I need to replace the name of the file with a wild card (for example *.jpg instead of test1.jpg) that allows me to use the command line for all files (https://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-s ... hp?t=15737; https://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-s ... rd#p145532 ).

Thanks
UliW
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Many "convert" commands can be converted to "mogrify" or "magick mogrify". But if you have "convert" commands that do what you want, it may be easier to put them inside "for" loops.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
UliW

Post by UliW »

Thank you snibgo,
but what must be written instead of „ C:\temp\bildquelle\test1” to do the processing for all files in the input directory?
Is it “*”, “%”, “$” or anything else?

Thanks
UliW
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

You had this:

To do that with mogrify:

C:
cd \temp\bildquelle
C:\Programme\ImageMagick-7.0.6-Q16\magick mogrify -path C:\temp\bildablage -compress LZW *.jpg
UliW

Post by UliW »

Dear snibgo,
I think my main mistake was to use the windows prompt instead of the windows shell. Now it works pretty well (I must tell the program not to import the old jpg-files into the new output file, but I hope to find out how to do this after digging through a hundreds of answers concerning batch conversions).

But to be sure: Is there no other way to carry out that kind of processing other than using mogrify ? What puzzles me is the fact that the installation of mogrify is optional on IM 7.0.

Thanks
Uli
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

The example I showed uses "magick mogrify". That is, it uses the "magick.exe" program.

An alternative is the "mogrify.exe" program.

Other alternative are to use "convert.exe" or "magick convert" or simply "magick", inside a for loop.
UliW

Post by UliW »

Dear snibgo,
UliW