3D Perspective / distort overlay on existing 3d jpg

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
brightnebula
Authentication code: 1152

3D Perspective / distort overlay on existing 3d jpg

Post by brightnebula »

Hi All,

First post, long time user of ImageMagick.

Got a question, we have a bunch of jpgs of 3d boxes (only showing two sides) from our art dept. similar to :

Image.

Our task is to add logo's / art on these jpgs(say in a empty area where the wizard is in the above example ). But since the files are already created we now have to find out what the mapping points for the distort :
As per : http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/distorts/#box3d

My developer is using fireworks and creating rectangle images for original points and distoring for new points. Is there a better tool or approach for doing this?

Thanks,

Michael
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: 3D Perspective / distort overlay on existing 3d jpg

Post by snibgo »

brightnebula wrote:My developer is using fireworks and creating rectangle images for original points and distoring for new points. Is there a better tool or approach for doing this?
Yes, that's the obvious approach. Pick the coordinates of four points on the artwork image (eg the four corners), and of four points on the box image, then "-distort perspective".

I don't know Fireworks, but it's easy with ImageMagick.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
Bonzo

Re: 3D Perspective / distort overlay on existing 3d jpg

Post by Bonzo »

Is there a better tool or approach
I would think that is the only way to do it.

I have a tool on the web you can try using php and JavaScript: Distort