Convert PDS image with mutliple channels into png/jpg

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
Radam
Authentication code: 1152

Convert PDS image with mutliple channels into png/jpg

Post by Radam »

Hi guys,

i'm trying to use ImageMagik to convert a psd image which uses CMYK as color model and which has an additional (custom) color channel set.
I tried to use both ImageMagik and psd-tools with python without success. All i'm obtaining is the image without the custom color channel which appears to be ignored by the convertion, in fact only CMYK channels are considered.

Unfortunately i can't share to you the image since i'm not the owner of it. Just think of a psd CMYK image with 2 layers, one is the image and the other the white background. This image has 5 color channels, 4 are from CMYK and the fifth is the custom channel added by the author.

Thanks in advance :)
Bonzo

Re: Convert PDS image with mutliple channels into png/jpg

Post by Bonzo »

Unfortunately i can't share to you the image since i'm not the owner of it
Not really an excuse - create a similar one that is not confidential.
Radam

Post by Radam »

Well the point is that i do not own a Photoshop license at all, therefore i cannot give you any psd file :(
But to test it it's sufficient to create a psd project with a jpg image as the unic layer and then add to that image an additional custom channel.
This is exactly what i have, and when i try to convert it with image magik the custom channel is ignored and only the rgb channels are taken.

I'm sorry i can't share any psd, i hope the info i've given to you are sufficient to understand my problem. If it is not the case let me know, i'll try to find someone with photoshop who can help me to build the image i need.

Thanks
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

ImageMagick V7 has the facility for storing more than 4 colour channels, so reading more than 4 channels from a PSD might be possible, in principle, at some time in the future.

In practice, don't hold your breath.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
Radam

Post by Radam »

I understand.

I'll have to figure out another way to do it then.

Thank you for your reply!