How feasible is it by using ImageMagick to extract the town/city name of the place from the exif data(GPS information) ?

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
PleskQuestion
Authentication code: 1152

How feasible is it by using ImageMagick to extract the town/city name of the place from the exif data(GPS information) ?

Post by PleskQuestion » 2018-01-13T13:12:27-07:00

Hi,

I’m in the process of developing a photo sharing platform, and wondering, when uploading the photo from a smart phone to the platform, if I can use the exif data(GPS information) of the photo systematically (by using ImageMagick) to extract the actual town/city name of the place that’s taken as the photo in order to display the town/city name in the platform. If it is possible, could you please explain to me the process of doing it?

fmw42

Re: How feasible is it by using ImageMagick to extract the town/city name of the place from the exif data(GPS informatio

Post by fmw42 » 2018-01-13T13:20:39-07:00

Does your image have GMP location by city? Mostly I know that it has latitude and longitude. City may be there and if so, IM can extract it.

The IPTC meta data usually has the City and State. IM can extract that if it exists in your file.

Post your image to some free hosting service that will not change any data (such as dropbox.com) and put the URL here so we can download the image and see what EXIF data you have.

For example:

Code: Select all

convert DSCF6780.jpg -format "%[IPTC:2:90:City]" info:
Senoia

See https://www.imagemagick.org/script/escape.php

PleskQuestion
Authentication code: 1152

Re: How feasible is it by using ImageMagick to extract the town/city name of the place from the exif data(GPS informatio

Post by PleskQuestion » 2018-01-16T06:12:10-07:00

fmw42,

Thanks for your reply.

This is the image to test to see whether or not I can extract the city name from the latitude and longtitue.

http://metown.info/upload/save_image/P4122246.JPG

By the way, would it be possible for me to set the batch processing for this city name extraction from the exif data ever time I upload the image to the system?