create a 'glare' effect over the brightest 1% of pixels

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
tgrove
Authentication code: 1152

create a 'glare' effect over the brightest 1% of pixels

Post by tgrove »

Hello!

New to imagemagick so please forgive me if this is a very basic question.

I'm hoping to create a glare effect over the brightest pixels in a photo, as in the photo below.

I could see two potential ways of doing it: creating a threshold mask and using morphology to make a diamond/plus shape & overlay that. Or, find the x/y coordinates of the white pixels in the mask, and overlay a pre-made semi translucent .png of the glare image at those coordinates.

Problem is, I don't really know how to do either of those things.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

fmw42

Re: create a 'glare' effect over the brightest 1% of pixels

Post by fmw42 »

Please always provide your ImageMagick version and platform/OS, as syntax may vary.

Can you post and example input image and corresponding output image. At least post an input image that is appropriate for us to use.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

I show a method for making starbursts at Polar distortions: Stars. You could make some at different sizes, and place them according to brightness levels in the input image.

A simpler method might use comet blurs. Simplify your input to just points of light where you want the stars. Comet-blur that, and "-compose Lighten -composite" with your input.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
tgrove

Post by tgrove »

@fmw42:
imagemagick version 6.9.3-6 Q16 x86_64. I'm running mac OS 10.12.6.

Here's an example input. I'm hoping to increase the amount of sparkles/flares in the output. I need it to be an automated process as it's going to be part of a photo shoot series.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Here are a couple of outputs. I started with snibgo's idea of making a diagonal flare image. The code is in Unix syntax.

Input:

Here I threshold the image to get the brightest 1% but remove thicker spots:

Code: Select all

convert sparkle.jpg -negate -threshold 1% -negate -morphology open diamond:2 -type bilevel tmp1.png

Here I draw the diagonal lines and blur them

convert \
-size 140x140 xc:black \
-fill white \
-draw "line 0,0 139,139 line 0,139 139,0" -alpha off \
-virtual-pixel black \
-blur 0x3 \
tmp2.png

Here I use snibgo's method of adding the gradients to the lines

convert \
tmp2.png \
-virtual-pixel Edge \
-distort depolar 0 \
-distort SRT 0,-5,1,0,0,0 \
-auto-level \
-level 5%,50% \
\( +clone -sparse-color bilinear "0,0,White 0,%[fx:h-1],Black" \) \
-compose Multiply -composite \
-distort polar 0 \
tmp3.png

Here I have to use HDRI, so I use IM 7 which includes it. You could do it all in IM 7 or with a build of IM 6 with HDRI. The step does a convolution of the star pattern above with the tmp1 top 1% bright image in the Fourier domain. A limitation of ImageMagick here is that both images must be padded with black to the same square and even dimension. The padded out star image must them be rolled so that what was in the center is at the top left corner.

magick \
\( tmp1.png +fft -background black -gravity center -extent 2736x2736 \) \
\( tmp3.png -background black -gravity center -extent 2736x2736 -roll -1369-1369 +fft \) \
-complex multiply +ift \
-auto-level -gravity northwest -crop 2736x1824+0+0 +repage tmp4.png

Here I try one method of composing the result onto the original. I use -evaluate log for gain. One could also use -evaluate pow in stead.

convert sparkle.jpg \( tmp4.png -evaluate log 100 \) -compose lighten -composite sparkle_result2.png

Here I try another method of composing.

convert sparkle.jpg \( +clone -fill white -colorize 100 \) \( tmp4.png -evaluate log 100 \) -compose lighten -composite sparkle_result1.png

P.S. If one uses polar -1 and depolar -1, you will get the star pattern to fill out the image, so the stars will match the size of the initial lines.

convert \
tmp2.png \
-virtual-pixel Edge \
-distort depolar -1 \
-distort SRT 0,-5,1,0,0,0 \
-auto-level \
-level 5%,50% \
\( +clone -sparse-color bilinear "0,0,White 0,%[fx:h-1],Black" \) \
-compose Multiply -composite \
-distort polar -1 \
tmp3b.png
tgrove

Post by tgrove »

This is a huge help! Thank you so much. You guys are real wizards with all this. Bravo!
tgrove

Post by tgrove »

fmw42 wrote: 2018-02-02T19:23:24-07:00
Here I have to use HDRI, so I use IM 7 which includes it. You could do it all in IM 7 or with a build of IM 6 with HDRI. The step does a convolution of the star pattern above with the tmp1 top 1% bright image in the Fourier domain. A limitation of ImageMagick here is that both images must be padded with black to the same square and even dimension. The padded out star image must them be rolled so that what was in the center is at the top left corner.

magick \
\( tmp1.png +fft -background black -gravity center -extent 2736x2736 \) \
\( tmp3.png -background black -gravity center -extent 2736x2736 -roll -1369-1369 +fft \) \
-complex multiply +ift \
-auto-level -gravity northwest -crop 2736x1824+0+0 +repage tmp4.png
Having trouble getting this part to work on mac, using ImageMagick 7.0.7-22 Q16 x86_64. Getting the following error:

magick: delegate library support not built-in `threshold.png' (FFTW) @ warning/fourier.c/ForwardFourierTransformImage/898.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Looks like you need to install the FFTW delegate library. See https://www.imagemagick.org/script/comm ... ns.php#fft

What do you get from

magick -version
On my Mac I have the following delegates installed via MacPorts, but install IM from source.

Version: ImageMagick 7.0.7-22 Q16 x86_64 2018-01-22 http://www.imagemagick.org
Copyright: © 1999-2018 ImageMagick Studio LLC
License: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/license.php
Features: Cipher DPC HDRI Modules OpenMP
Delegates (built-in): bzlib cairo fftw fontconfig freetype gslib jbig jng jp2 jpeg lcms lqr ltdl lzma openexr png ps rsvg tiff webp x xml zlib

Does it list fftw? If not then you need to install that delegate library. How did you install ImageMagick? MacPorts or Homebrew or from ImageMagick directly. If MacPorts or Homebrew, then you will need to install the delegate linked to ImageMagick or reinstall Imagmagick with the delegate? If from ImageMagick source, then see http://www.fftw.org

If you are using IM 7, then change all my convert commands to magick rather than convert.
tgrove

Post by tgrove »

Yep, the fftw library was missing. Got it installed, now everything's working perfectly, thanks again for all the help.