HELP: Using Chartwell {Ligatures} font with Imagemagick

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
r2997790
Authentication code: 1151

HELP: Using Chartwell {Ligatures} font with Imagemagick

Post by r2997790 »

HI everyone,

I'm trying to get the amazing Chartwell font to play ball with ImageMagick. It works with ligatures (I've installed Pando which does help with them).

Does anyone have any idea how I could get Chartwell to work to allow me to render graphs using the Chartwell font? (If you have never heard of it be sure to checkout the links below).

I want to composite a PDF including Chartwell Bars / Pies.

References:
Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQSLUNd5_i4 c(about Chartwell)
Example (for web use using JavaScript): http://tktype.com/chartwell-web-example.php

Thank you!
R
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: HELP: Using Chartwell {Ligatures} font with Imagemagick

Post by fmw42 »

I suspect that Imagemagick does not know how to handle that kind of font. In general Imagemagick cannot handle even emojis. Typical fonts that IM can handle are .ttf, .otf. If Pango can handle them, perhaps you should just use pango directly.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

r2997790 wrote:... to render graphs using the Chartwell font?
ImageMagick is a general-purpose raster image creator/editor. I suggest you look at gnuplot, which is designed for the specific task of creating graphs, and can create them in PDF (editable text) format.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
r2997790

Post by r2997790 »

snibgo wrote: 2018-04-05T16:11:07-07:00
r2997790 wrote:... to render graphs using the Chartwell font?
ImageMagick is a general-purpose raster image creator/editor. I suggest you look at gnuplot, which is designed for the specific task of creating graphs, and can create them in PDF (editable text) format.
Thanks. I specifically need to use Chartwell... Thank you for the suggestion of gnuplot, if I need create graphs like theirs I'll look at that in the future.

fmw42 wrote: 2018-04-05T12:32:01-07:00 I suspect that Imagemagick does not know how to handle that kind of font. In general Imagemagick cannot handle even emojis. Typical fonts that IM can handle are .ttf, .otf. If Pango can handle them, perhaps you should just use pango directly.
Yes, it seems Pango _might_ be able to work in conjunction with IM but I'm not sure yet how to do that. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it.

Seems it needs to be 'discretionary ligatures' needs to be turned on some how.

Does anyone have any idea how?

R