New User Trying To Convert 16 Bit Tif To 16 Bit PGM

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
shurimano
Authentication code: 1152

New User Trying To Convert 16 Bit Tif To 16 Bit PGM

Post by shurimano »

I need to convert some 16 bpp tif's to 16 bpp pgm's.

I'm pretty sure it is a simple line like 'convert start.tif end.pgm'

My issue is really what exactly needs to be done before I type something like that? Do I need to put the start.tif in the same folder as the where ImageMagick is? I've been looking around for a beginner's guide and I don't really see one.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: New User Trying To Convert 16 Bit Tif To 16 Bit PGM

Post by snibgo »

It would help if you told us your platform (Windows, bash, etc) and what version of IM you use.

If you use IM v7, use "magick" instead of "convert".

Have you installed IM? Did you select the option to put its directory on your system path? That is generally a good idea.

Like most programs, you can put the data (image files) in the same directory as the software if you want, but it's usually a bad idea. It makes software upgrades, and managing your images, more difficult.

In the command, you can give the full path name to image files, ie their directories (and drives if on Windows). But it is often convenient to change directory ("cd" command) to the directoy that contains your images.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com