Blurring huge images/processing time

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
dholcomb9711
Authentication code: 1152

Blurring huge images/processing time

Post by dholcomb9711 »

Hello all,

I am working on weather data on Windows 10 (7.0.7-35 Q16 x64 2018-05-21). This is part of a web based severe weather analysis app I am developing.

One of my files is a large (approx 12,000x10,000 pixel) .GIF image. It is very blocky when overlaid on my map because of the nature of the data. I am using the following command to blur the edges :

Code: Select all

magick test.gif -blur 0x0.7 test_blurred.gif
The problem is that it takes so long to compute - and there is no result after 10+ minutes. I *do* understand this is because of the large image size. I did some tests with lower resolutions, and the above command would be perfect! By the time it finishes with the larger resolution the data is out of date since this is nearly realtime data (every 10 minutes). Right now I am running these commands on a laptop and not a dedicated computer, so I am sure that will help but for now I am trying to find a better solution.

Here is the image without the blurring applied (overlaid on a map, so you can see how it looks.)

Are there any tips or tricks to soften the edges? My only options seem to be 1.) Reduce the resolution, then run the blur command, or 2.) Get a faster server, or 3.) Both.

I am not an expert with IM, but I am hoping there is an optimal way to do this - like another command that will soften the edges that I am unaware of etc.

Thank you for any help. Everyone is very helpful here so I prefer this than resorting to stack overflow.

David
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: Blurring huge images/processing time

Post by snibgo »

Another option is to resize down, then back up.

I suppose the problem is that you don't have enough memory, so IM needs to use disk. GIF is 8-bit, so you might use IM Q8 which has half the memory use of Q16. In addition, don't use HDRI. (Q8 non-HDRI will give slightly lower quality, but I doubt this would be visible.)
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com