Trying to make a BAT file to convert PDF to multi page tiff

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
AnthonyC84
Authentication code: 1151

Trying to make a BAT file to convert PDF to multi page tiff

Post by AnthonyC84 »

Hi,

I am trying to create a batch file so that when a multi page PDF document is dragged onto the PDF, the BAT file will create a multi page tiff document with the same filename and page numbers attached.

ie) File.pdf becomes File_001.tiff File_002.tiff .. etc.

I was looking at some posts and found this code for single files
for %%f in (%*) DO "C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.6.4-Q16\convert.exe" -density 300 -compress lzw %%f %%f.tiff

However, this is for single page pdfs and I also learned that convert.exe didn't exist in my install and was replaced with magick. I tried modifying the code to

for %%f in (%*) DO "C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-7.0.8-Q16\magick.exe" -density 300 -compress lzw -units pixelsperinch %%f %%f_%03d.tiff

Sadly, this doesn't work.

Could anyone tell me how to modify the code to make it work?

Moreover as a bonus, could anyone tell me what I could input into a batch file that will take tiff files in a folder and convert them into a single pdf
in otherwords in imgmagick perform convert *.tiff -compress lzw "filename.pdf"

Cheers.
snibgo

Re: Trying to make a BAT file to convert PDF to multi page tiff

Post by snibgo »

AnthonyC84 wrote:Sadly, this doesn't work.
It would help if you said what happens instead -- error messages or any file outputs or what?

In a batch file, any % signs (other than script parameters) need to be doubled. So you need %%f_%%03d.tiff for the output filename.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
Werty
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by Werty »

Do you have Ghostscript installed ? that is required on Windows platforms to convert PDF's.

Read here: https://imagemagick.org/Usage/files/#de ... postscript

Ghostscript here: https://www.ghostscript.com/download.html
Windows 7 user
AnthonyC84

Post by AnthonyC84 »

snibgo wrote: 2019-07-16T06:59:57-07:00
AnthonyC84 wrote:Sadly, this doesn't work.
It would help if you said what happens instead -- error messages or any file outputs or what?

In a batch file, any % signs (other than script parameters) need to be doubled. So you need %%f_%%03d.tiff for the output filename.
The BAT would lock up CMD and didn't flag any error. However, adding the extra % sign has worked. Thank you.

Now I just need to fiddle with getting a batch of tiff files to convert to a single pdf.
AnthonyC84

Post by AnthonyC84 »

Werty wrote: 2019-07-16T07:53:06-07:00 Do you have Ghostscript installed ? that is required on Windows platforms to convert PDF's.

Read here: https://imagemagick.org/Usage/files/#de ... postscript

Ghostscript here: https://www.ghostscript.com/download.html
I have GS as well as imgmagick. I'm use to using imgmagick commands in CMD but I have no real experience creating batch files. I just want a simple solution for some colleagues who are not very good with computers who will not go into a cmd window cuz they think they will explode their PC.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

AnthonyC84 wrote:... cuz they think they will explode their PC.
Ha!
AnthonyC84 wrote:... a batch file that will take tiff files in a folder and convert them into a single pdf
in otherwords in imgmagick perform convert *.tiff -compress lzw "filename.pdf"
I suppose that command does exactly what you need, and you want to put it into a "drag-n-drop" BAT file. I encourage you to experiment.

Create a BAT file on your desktop. Insert that command. Then when any file is dropped onto the BAT file, that command will be executed in that directory.
AnthonyC84

Post by AnthonyC84 »

I got the Tiff to PDF to work.

For anyone who wants to know Batch code to do the conversions with ImageMagick installed.

PDF->Tiff
for %%f in (%*) DO "C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-7.0.8-Q16\magick.exe" -density 300 -compress lzw -units pixelsperinch %%f %%f_%%03d.tiff

Tiff->PDF
for %%f in (%*) DO "C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-7.0.8-Q16\magick.exe" *.tiff -compress lzw -quality 100 %%f.pdf

Note that if you have a different version of ImageMagick you need to change the directory path to the exe.

Cheers!
Last edited by AnthonyC84 on 2019-07-16T08:32:22-07:00, edited 1 time in total.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

You have omitted "for" at the start of those examples.

Your second example will read all of the tiff files and put then in a single PDF named after the first tiff. Then it will again read all of the tiff files and put then in a single PDF named after the second tiff, and so on.
AnthonyC84

Post by AnthonyC84 »

snibgo wrote: 2019-07-16T08:21:42-07:00 You have omitted "for" at the start of those examples.

Your second example will read all of the tiff files and put then in a single PDF named after the first tiff. Then it will again read all of the tiff files and put then in a single PDF named after the second tiff, and so on.
I edited the post for the "for" missing.

For the 2nd statement. This doesn't happen for me. I just drag the first tiff file only and that's it. You do not highlight all the tiff files and drag them onto the batch file.
** I'd be interested in knowing the proper code for highlighting all tiff files and dragging them onto the BAT file for a single output pdf but nothing seems to be working atm.

You are correct in that if there are tiff files from different files that I don't want merged then this code is not efficient. The file path needs to contain only the tiff files I want to convert into a pdf.

You can change the line to
"C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-7.0.8-Q16\magick.exe" *.tiff -compress lzw -quality 100 %1.pdf
or
"C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-7.0.8-Q16\magick.exe" *.tiff -compress lzw -quality 100 Output.pdf