Conversion to sRGB looks different

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
txema
Authentication code: 1152

Conversion to sRGB looks different

Post by txema »

Hello,
I have AdobeRGB1998 images that I want to convert to sRGB. I have two systems: Linux MInt, where i do conversions, and Windows 7 where i edit images using Photoshop.
To convert I used this command:
magick image_adobe.JPG -intent Relative -black-point-compensation -profile 'sRGB Color Space Profile.icm' image_srgb.JPG
The image does not contain any color outside the srgb gamut, but the result looks different than the adobeRGB version, and also looks different than a sRGB conversion made in Photoshop. The latter does look the same than the adobeRGB version. The difference is little, the dark part of the image looks a bit lighter than in the adobeRGB version.
I used that sRGB profile (sRGB IEC61966-2.1) because it is the one that is stored in Windows and used by Photoshop.
I have verified with "exiftool" that the embedded profiles are identical in both images (sRGB from "magick" and SRGB from "Photoshop") , and EXIF metadata is also the same.
I do not explain what can cause the difference in display between both images. Any help would be appreciated.
Best Regards;

Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon. Magick (Portable version for Linux)
Windows 7 64 bits. Adobe Photoshop cc (2014).
AdobeRGB image obtained from Nikon raw .NEF using Adobe camera raw

snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: Conversion to sRGB looks different

Post by snibgo »

I assume your image_adobe.JPG contains an embedded AdobeRGB1998 profile.

When you compare the AdobeRGB and sRGB versions, what is your conversion chain between the files and the display device? Does the display device show 100% of sRGB, or 100% of AdobeRGB, or what? Does your system convert RGB to Adobe RGB, or AdobeRGB to sRGB? How does it do that conversion?

When you compare the Photoshop sRGB image with the ImageMagick sRGB image, how much difference is there? Are you sure that Photoshop is not doing any other processing?

It might help if you supplied links to the sRGB images made by PS and IM.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com

txema
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Conversion to sRGB looks different

Post by txema »

Oops...
Reviewing the chain to answer you, I realized that the image that presents differences had not been converted with Photoshop but with Zoner Photo Studio. Images converted with Photoshop are identical to those converted with Magick. It seems that Zoner does not convert with the same accuracy.
I apologize for asking about a non-existent problem.
Thanks and best regards;