Benchmarking

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
dognose

Benchmarking

Post by dognose »

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has benchmarking scripts for IM.

I'm interested in an easy way of comparing the performance of IM accross several machines, and of comparing different versions of IM.

I know I could just resize a batch full of images, but I'm interested in a more complete, representative test.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

ImageMagick has a built-in regression test that can be used for benchmarking. Simply type
  • make check
from the top-level ImageMagick directory. A simpler test is to just run
  • make test
in the PerlMagick directory. It returns the elapsed and CPU time. A more comprehensive test would involve larger images since the regression tests only deal with thumbnail sized images. We suspect the best benchmark would be to run Anthony's scripts he uses to generate his web pages.
anthony
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by anthony »

The IM Examples generate images by extracting the command from the HTML file I write, and executes them to produce the displayed image. That is the code in the HTML is also the code executed, This ensures a direct correspondance between code and results in the IM Examples. the exceptions to this are some pages where I kept the older images to demonstrate a well known, old but (generally) fixed bug. See Bugs and Development area.

Look at the source to the IM examples HTML pages to see the markers for the code to be executed!

Of course this tie means that is a bug appears in the beta, whcih I download and compile almost every day (sometimes 3 times a day), then IM examples also shows that bug.

Now this menas it will not make a good benchmark or regression test as it needs an eyeball look to see if what IM Examples is displaying is actually correct. However I have been adding is some tests for specific problems that tend to re-appear, and output "ASSERTION FAILURES" for these cases.
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/