Rolling back failed upgrade

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
PeterRecz

Rolling back failed upgrade

Post by PeterRecz »

I was hoping someone could provide some insight into a failed upgrade from 5.5.7 to 6.3.4 of ImageMagick on SuSE Enterprise 9 x64.

I was not involved with setting up the original build however we have the following RPMs in a folder.
ImageMagick-5.5.7-225.15.x86_64.rpm
ImageMagick-Magick++-5.5.7-225.15.x86_64.rpm
ImageMagick-devel-5.5.7-225.15.x86_64.rpm
perl-PerlMagick-5.5.7-225.15.x86_64.rpm

Not knowing much about the software and with only a basic knowledge of Linux I attempted to install 6.3.4 from source. Since that time we have been unable to use the blobtoimage functionality from a perl script. Below is the error message encountered.

GifManipulator2.pm: Stu: blobcount = Exception 395: UnableToOpenModuleFile `jpeg.la': No such file or directory
AND
GifManipulator2.pm: Stu: blobcount = Exception 395: UnableToOpenModuleFile `gif.la': No such file or directory

Now, after we noticed the failed upgrade we attempted an uninstall of the 6.3.4 with the "make uninstall" command. Since that time I found the old rpm files and have completed a rpm -i --force on the .rpm files to try and replace any missing files, etc.

What I think is occurring is the perl script is calling the new 6.3.4 version rather than the older 5.5.7?

Any assistance available is greatly appreciated.
PeterRecz

Re: Rolling back failed upgrade

Post by PeterRecz »

Turns out there was resident Magick.pm and Magick.so files from the new 6.3.4 version in the folders below.

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Image
and
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/Image/Magick/

The fix was to stop Apache, move the files and folders and start Apache. As perl was no longer calling the new version the problem was resolved.