Unable to Open Module File

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
Andy17MB

Unable to Open Module File

Post by Andy17MB »

When I try and run Imagemagick convert I get the following error:

convert: unable to open module file `/usr/lib/ImageMagick-6.2.4/modules-Q16/coders/magick.la': No such file or directory.

I'm running Ubuntu 6.10 (edgy) and have tried removing and reinstalling imagemagick

Any Suggestions gratefully received....
anthony
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: Unable to Open Module File

Post by anthony »

Either IM is miss- installed, installed multiple times, or you you need an environment variable to define a install in an unusual location.
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/
Andy17MB

Post by Andy17MB »

Anthony,

I suspect you are right.. Somewhere along the way with Ubuntu edgy (6.10) updates I have fouled up Sources.list. It was at this point that Imagemagick stopped working. I have tried removing and reinstalling a couple of times with apt-get, but with no success. I have now upgraded to Feisty (7.04) hoping that I would get a clean set of libraries, but I'm stuck with the same problems. I'm fairly new to lInux, so any suggestions how I can check if I have a duplicate or snarled up copy?

Ottodv - Thanks for The Suggestion, unfortunately I am giving Imagemagick a valid arguement and file type, so It's not that...
anthony

Post by anthony »

This is my 'clean system of IM' list of commands.
Remove the library with apt-get first, then....

Code: Select all

rm -r /usr/lib/ImageMagick-*
rm -r /usr/lib/libMagick*
rm -r /usr/share/ImageMagick-*
rm -r /usr/share/doc/ImageMagick-*
rm -r /usr/include/{Magick++,magick,wand}
rm -r /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/*/i386-linux-thread-multi/Image/Magick*
rm -r /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/*/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/Image/Magick*
rm -r /usr/share/man/man?/*Magick*
No gurantees, and it does not look in /opt or /usr/local for other copies of IM.

I also have used the "make uninstall" using the IM sources (configured) but that may only remove IM from where it configured to install it. No sure about how universal it is.
Andy17MB

Post by Andy17MB »

Anthony,

I tried another apt-get remove imagemagick and then went through your remove list. I got as far as the 4th Line (rm -r /usr/share/doc/ImageMagick-*) and then simply got no such file or directory errors. I have checked /usr and /opt and found no evidence of imagemagick installs or libraries.

I've then re installed Imagemagick with apt-get. All seemed ok but running convert gives the following error:
convert: error while loading shared libraries: libMagick.so.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Am I perhaps missing some libraries somewhere? If so can you suggest what

Thanks again for your help
anthony

Post by anthony »

Strange, the library number is /usr/lib/libMagick.so.10 and has been for quite a long time.
What version is it installing IM v5 or v6?
Do a "updatedb" and check what librarys you have with "slocate libMagick.so" command.
Andy17MB

Post by Andy17MB »

Anthony,

Sorry I've not been able to reply sooner, but I've now tried your suggestions. Neither updatedb nor slocate return anything (run as admin). I went into /usr/lib/ and there is no sign of libmagick in any form. There are two libmagic files though - libmagic.so.1 and libmagic.so.1.0.0

Checking with synaptic package manager in Ubuntu it thinks that it has libmagick9 and imagemagick installed. I've just reinstalled libmagick and imagemagick and it all seems to be working again. I am bemused as to why apt-get didn't sort that out if it just needed a reinstall but synaptic did. At least I am up and working again

Thanks for your help

Andy