Lay one image on top of another with transparency?

MagickWand for PHP is an object-oriented PHP interface to ImageMagick. Use this forum to discuss, make suggestions about, or report bugs concerning MagickWand for PHP.
jenn5175

Lay one image on top of another with transparency?

Post by jenn5175 »

I know this is simple but I can't find any sample code and am getting frusterated.

I have 2 images. IMAGE1 is a JPG that is a photo. IMAGE2 is a JPG or GIF (whichever is easier) that is the same size and IMAGE1 and has, say, a logo in the bottom right corner and a border strip along the bottom with tagline or something - everything else is set to an RGB value I want to be transparent.

I need to lay IMAGE2 on top of IMAGE1 but with all pixels that are not the logo/tagline set to transparent. For example, IMAGE2 might be all limegreen except for the logo. I need to know how to make that limegreen color (or whatever RGB value I determine to be the "transparent color") transperent and then lay IMAGE2 directly on top of IMAGE1.

I have found a few workarounds with going pixel by pixel and such, but I will be doing this to thousands of photos at a time and I am thinking there is a function that does exactly what I need in an efficient manner. I just cannot figure out which one it is!

Ideas?
Jenn
aditan22

Post by aditan22 »

If I may answer your question...

To make the image transparent, use this function: MagickPaintTransparentImage

and to merge both image, use:
MagickCompositeImage with MW_OverlayCompositeOp operator.

Hope this help you.

And... CMIIW or if there's other more efficient way... we're all learning here, right? except of course the imagemagick creators ;)
monsters

Post by monsters »

Yeah, frustrating.

Basically your trying to do a watermark, check my sample code here
http://bigmojo.net/monsters/?p=6

I have it on this site somewhere, but you know, gotta pimp.