IMagick installed but not supported through joomla site

IMagick is a native PHP extension to create and modify images using the ImageMagick API. ImageMagick Studio LLC did not write nor does it maintain the IMagick extension, however, IMagick users are welcome to discuss the extension here.
nikko128
Authentication code: 6789

IMagick installed but not supported through joomla site

Post by nikko128 »

Hello, I am a new member to the forum.

I would like some help on the following issue:

I try to use the Imagick extension inside a joomla component that I have created and I get the following error:
"Fatal error: Class 'Imagick' not found in /home/mytestsite/public_html/libraries/ImagickFiles/myTestFile.php".

My notices:
1) When I run my php script outside the Joomla site, at public_html/ImagickFiles/myTestFile.php everythng works fine.

2) Under administrator backend > System > System Information > PHP Information > the Imagick Module is enabled.

3) When I installed Image Magick I made the Imagick extension available to the php.ini file.

I hope someone can help me find out what I might be missing here, and get through this issue.
*I have posted my question to the equivalent joomla forum, without any luck so far.

Thank you in advance.
3sharpltd

Re: IMagick installed but not supported through joomla site

Post by 3sharpltd »

see the following post http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=350630 . from what i can see in this post joomla uses a seperate php.ini config file which you may need to add imagick to. Also another point to look out for is in the joomla php.ini look out for where the modules are loaded from as you may need to add the module to this folder or supply the full path to the module
nikko128

Re: IMagick installed but not supported through joomla site

Post by nikko128 »

Guided by your proposition 3sharpltd I think I got around it.

My notices are:
1) I found a configuration php.ini file that my joomla installation uses under /usr/lib/
It had an entry for both the extensions location: extension_dir="/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626"
and the extension itself: extension="imagick.so"

2) I also found another location of a php.ini file under /etc/ that had only a single entry for the Imagick extension: extension="imagick.so"
I added the location of the extensions folder there.

So far, nothing had chancged, the Imagick extensiion kept not working.

3) Under the public_html/ folder I have put a configuration php.ini file so that I can increase the upload_file_size
I added there an entry for both the extensions folder and the extension itself (Imagick).

That seems to have solved it, because now Imagick works like a charm through my joomla components.

But, now it doesn't work outside the joomla installation!! Probably has to do with the php.ini file again?