help! some imagemagick problems i met

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
togo

help! some imagemagick problems i met

Post by togo »

i have use imagemagick c api for reading in an image, resize and convert to another format for months.
during the times, i met some problems.

1. some times, an unexpert image will cause very big temp files, what's more. will leave some empty temp files like
magick-XXxasss in tmp/ file, from some logs, i found these temp files cause during BlobToImage. when this function failed, may leave empty temp files. is there any body met the same problem or have any suggestiones to avoid?

2. when the image is very large, like 5000 * 4000 e.g. the resize function will use a lot of cpu even more than 99%, and may last more than 10sec. is it can be faster, like use better cpus? or any ways to get the image info before convert it in to pixel cache?

3. some times, mulit-progress is unstable.

or any advise for improve the performance.

thanks
magick
Site Admin

Re: help! some imagemagick problems i met

Post by magick »

We have addressed the issues you posted about in recent versions of ImageMagick. What version are you using? Can you upgrade? If so, if you use the latest release and it still fails for you we would like to hear about it for further investigation.
togo

Post by togo »

i use imagemagick 6.3.3

is the problem especially the magick-XXxasss temp file problem has been fixed in the lastest version?

like the problem 2, now i just use pingblob function before call blobtoimage,
to avoid too much memory or big temp files created. if the image is too big, will not treate it.

but i have no ideas about empty temp files.
bananas2

Post by bananas2 »

On system with heavy load a lot of temp files are created in very short time. On
one system it takes ~5minutes sometimes, until the root filesystem is full,
because some temp files are several GB in size.

still not resolved? sometimes we kill IM process, but..

Version: ImageMagick 6.3.5 09/05/07 Q16