convert .ai to .tiff

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
manuel.estevez

convert .ai to .tiff

Post by manuel.estevez »

Hi mates,I am a spanish developer, sorry about my english.
I want to convert a file from adobe ilustrator (.ai) to .tiff, but I want to convert it with transparence, i.e. , my .ai file has transparence and a vector image, and when I convert this file to .tiff with convert command, my end file (.tiff) haven´t transparence or have transparece but with a little white border, it depence of commands.

My ai file is onlye a black spot,ok?

My command line is:

convert -depth 8 -alpha on FILE.ai FILE tiff
or
convert -depth 8 -transparent #FFFFFFFF -alpha on FILE.ai FILE tiff

HELP!! PLEASE
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: convert .ai to .tiff

Post by fmw42 »

Can you provide a link to your test file, so others can test with it? Is your file possibly in CMYK color space?

Have you tried

convert FILE.ai -depth 8 FILE.tiff

or

convert FILE.ai FILE.tiff

or

convert FILE.ai -type PaletteMatte FILE.tiff
anthony
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by anthony »

Note that a ".ai" file is actually a psotscript ".ps" file. As such it is a vector image that needs to be 'drawn' at a specific density.

See A word about Vector Image Formats
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/formats/#vector
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/
manuel.estevez

Post by manuel.estevez »

Update.
We have tried al these methods:
-depth 8 (we want 8 bits)
-transparent #FFFFFFFFF ( because the imagemagick "thinks" that the file has white backgroung
-alpha on, off, set, transparent, shape...
-palleteMatte
-compress LZW
-colorspace
-type TRUECOLOR
-channel RGB
...etc...

What we are trying to achive , is to be able to use a AI file and have it exported, directly into a tiff file having it´s tgransparecy values.

We want to use imagemagic. to be able to make a batch system. and not have to go back into the adobe programs like photoshop etc...this batch is to convert hundred of ai files to tiff

The project is AI to tiff, we want to have a tiff file with LZW compress, 8 bits depth, RGB.

we have tried passing to png or psd and then png to tiff, directly ai to tiff ....and we don´t succes . the issue ve are getting is in the transparent or ALPHA is not working correctly.
We are getting a border in the alpha and in the compo program it shows up and is not working.
we need it be be like this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?6j3gnc8zyydynab

Thank you
manuel.estevez

Post by manuel.estevez »

I´m sorry about I spent your time, my problem was my image magick version. :? I was trying in Image Magick 6.5.9-2 version, and I update to 6.7.4-6 version and finally works.

Anyway thank you.