Regression: Magick++ truncating multi-page images/animated GIFs

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
tc33
Authentication code: 67789

Regression: Magick++ truncating multi-page images/animated GIFs

Post by tc33 »

Using version 6.9.3-8. See Magick++ / image.cpp, line 5116:

Code: Select all

void Magick::Image::read(MagickCore::Image *image,
  MagickCore::ExceptionInfo *exceptionInfo)
{
  // Ensure that multiple image frames were not read.
  if (image != (MagickCore::Image *) NULL &&
      image->next != (MagickCore::Image *) NULL)
    {
      MagickCore::Image
        *next;

// Destroy any extra image frames
      next=image->next;
      image->next=(MagickCore::Image *) NULL;
      next->previous=(MagickCore::Image *) NULL;
      DestroyImageList(next);
    }

When reading an image with multiple images, like an animated GIF, the additional images are being removed from the image pointer. I would imagine the same issue occurs on multi page TIFFs, PDFs, etc. I need to programmatically determine if an image is an animated GIF or not, and I did so by querying the MagickCore::Image->next pointer.

Prior versions of IM/Magick++ did not do this and worked properly; circa IM 6.6.xxx IIRC.

Does Magick++ no longer support multi-framed images?
dlemstra
Authentication code: 6789

Re: Regression: Magick++ truncating multi-page images/animated GIFs

Post by dlemstra »

I am not sure when this was changed but you should use 'readImages' to read multiple frames from an image.
.NET + ImageMagick = Magick.NET https://github.com/dlemstra/Magick.NET, @MagickNET, Donate
tc33

Post by tc33 »

Hi dlemstra thanks for the response.

I tried using ReadImages along with the Magick++ image interface, and magickcore freezes. Same behavior with 3 different input files. I think I've discovered a separate bug deeper in the core; I'll have to report that separately. My psuedocode is roughly:
Read image file to uchar*
Uchar* to magick++ blob
Construct Magick++ image using that blob --> truncation of multi images happens here
ReadImages( img.constImageInfo() ) --> MagickCore hangs here

I also tried using ReadImage() instead of ReadImages() and it hangs in the same spot.

So, unfortunately, I'm back to where I started. I'd really hate to have to duplicate parts of Magick++ in order to work around this limitation. In its current state, Magick++ will corrupt any multi-frame images. For example, this code corrupts an animated gif:

Code: Select all

auto img = Magick::Image( "path/to/myfile.gif" );
img.write( "path/to/myfile2.gif" );  //  corruption:  this only writes the first frame!
This is a serious limitation of Magick++. I guess i'm just trying to figure out why this change was introduced recently, and then determine if I can continue to use Magick++ in its current form. I could look into submitting a pull request if you are open to the idea restoring this functionality into Magick++, but I won't bother if you are moving away from this capability going forward. I just hate the idea of writing my own wrapper around MagickCore, since I thought that was the intent of Magick++ from the beginning.

Thoughts? Thanks again!
dlemstra

Post by dlemstra »

Are you using readImages from STL.h or are you calling ReadImages from MagickCore? You should be using the first one. And we won't change Magick++ so that an Image can contain multiple images.
.NET + ImageMagick = Magick.NET https://github.com/dlemstra/Magick.NET, @MagickNET, Donate
tc33

Post by tc33 »

Yes I was using the one from MagickCore, I wasn't familiar with the contents of STL.h. That looks like what I need.

So if I'm understanding Magick++ correctly, I want to use a container of Magick::Image to represent multi-framed images, as a single instance of Magick::Image only represents a single frame?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
dlemstra

Post by dlemstra »

You are understanding Magick++ correctly :)
tc33

Post by tc33 »

Better late than never! :) Thanks for your help