Request: add portable.7z files to download set

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
glennrp

Request: add portable.7z files to download set

Post by glennrp »

I'm observing that the most downloaded files from SourceForge are the *portable.zip files; I think it would be worthwhile adding *portable.7z to save some wear and tear on the Internet, being less than half the size (31.6MB versus 74.8MB).
Marsu42
Authentication code: 6789

Re: Request: add portable.7z files to download set

Post by Marsu42 »

glennrp wrote:I'm observing that the most downloaded files from SourceForge are the *portable.zip files; I think it would be worthwhile adding *portable.7z to save some wear and tear on the Internet, being less than half the size (31.6MB versus 74.8MB).
We're talking about the same Internet here, the one with all that pron and movie streaming? Well, I somehow doubt compressing IM with 7z will have a noticeable influence ... but then again some Desktops might indeed have a mobile connection so there's little reason not to do it :-)

http://www.whoishostingthis.com/blog/20 ... bandwidth/