Installing the libs from IM-6 alongside IM-7.

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
zarniwhoop
Authentication code: 1151

Installing the libs from IM-6 alongside IM-7.

Post by zarniwhoop »

For my personal use, I think that ImageMagick-7 is great. And some of the other packages I install which can use ImageMagick work fine with -7. But the major changes between 6 and 7 mean that not everything has caught up.

In BLFS we are aware of two packages which only recognise IM-6 : emacs-25.1 (not something I use, but some people like it) and inkscape (which I do minimally use). For those, I have produced a patch (currently tested with 6.9.6-8) using our instructions - it changes the unversioned pkgconfig files to have -6.pc names, and adds an install-libs-only target (no programs, no manpages). It assumes anyone doing this will NOT build the perl part for 6 : use 7, it's better ;) and it is only tested with my own HDRI builds.

But it does mean I can install 7 in a normal build, and then later install the libs and headers from a patched version of 6 (we use direct installs).

The patch is athttp://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches ... ly-1.patch and the current build instructions for 6 are at http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/vi ... gick6.html (with the full instructions for 7 on the next page).

Unfortunately, the unversioned pkgconfig files are now for -7 so packages will look at them, decide they don't fit, and reject them. For emacs (and I guess any other programs using a configure script), adding
IMAGEMAGICK_CFLAGS=-I/usr/include/ImageMagick-6 \
IMAGEMAGICK_LIBS="-lMagickCore-6.Q16HDRI -lMagick++-6.Q16HDRI -lMagickWand-6.Q16HDRI"
appears to do the job.

But inkscape has now moved to using cmake. For that there is a patch at
- my thoughts on cmake are now (almost) printable ;-)
But seriously - we usually find things in other distros, but most of the big players are still using 6. I hope somebody may find this useful.