`identify -verbose -ping` now runs slow

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
spieler

`identify -verbose -ping` now runs slow

Post by spieler »

In previous versions, when identify was called with -ping and -verbose at the same time, the whole verbose listing was displayed but some of the information like number of colors, etc. was incomplete because -ping caused it to run really fast!

I'm trying to determine if a tiff is a monochrome image. I could check the number of colors, but that reads the whole image. If I could check the compression easily, that would be sufficient. Unfortunately when I now run with -ping and -verbose, -verbose overrides -ping and a quick result does not happen.

Could you revert the functionality so that when -ping is used it is done quickly? I do realize there's a conflict between -verbose and -ping. If -ping is used, could you just not display certain fields such as the number of colors, histogram, and the ilk?

Alternatively, or possibly additionally, could you add a compression type attribute to the -format flag for identify?

I did just download the latest win32 exe 6.3.2 02/23/07 Q8 and it is running the same way.

As always, thanks for all your great help!
magick
Site Admin

Re: `identify -verbose -ping` now runs slow

Post by magick »

We added -format %C to return the compression type. Its available in ImageMagick 6.3.3 Beta sometime tommorrow.
spieler

Post by spieler »

Wow, you people are quick!

Is there any chance of still making identify a little smarter so it does run quicker? I miss getting the verbose information quickly.

For now, I'd be content in hearing it's at least somewhere on your to do list.

Thanks,
Gary
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Ok, we'll have a speed up for -ping -verbose by tommorrow.