For review: IPL Coder

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
seanburke1979

For review: IPL Coder

Post by seanburke1979 »

Hello all.
I have a coder file that I would like reviewed for reading and writing IPLab files. (IPL) Please get a copy of the source at ftp://depot.aecom.yu.edu/pub/HaEF9Fzbf4C84DPMH304/ipl.c .
Corrections and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Sean
magick
Site Admin

Re: For review: IPL Coder

Post by magick »

Thanks. Can you post a URL to a couple of IPL image files so we can test your code before we include it in the ImageMagick
distribution.
seanburke1979

Post by seanburke1979 »

The links above are dead. If there is anyone still working on this coder, please send me an email and I will provide a fresh link for the files.

Best,

Sean
seanburke1979

IPL Coder v2

Post by seanburke1979 »

What has been added:
-Support for writing U8, S16, S32, Float and Double file formats (in addition to the original U16).
-Reader is much cleaner. All byte type issues are abstracted out with Import/ExportQuantum pixels
-Reader handles all integer formats correctly, with accuracy limited by quantum depth.
What needs work:
-Reading floating point and double formats may need a little more attention.
-I would like to add IPL support to the test suite. (rwfile) Still trying to track down documentation/discourse posts on how to do this.

Coder has been benchmarked with 6.3.5 Q32.

ftp://depot.aecom.yu.edu/pub/b8GM3S012I6mGI6c059/ipl.c

Test images are at:
ftp://depot.aecom.yu.edu/pub/b8GM3S012I ... 9/8bmf.ipl
ftp://depot.aecom.yu.edu/pub/b8GM3S012I ... /16bmf.ipl
ftp://depot.aecom.yu.edu/pub/b8GM3S012I ... 9/8bsf.ipl
ftp://depot.aecom.yu.edu/pub/b8GM3S012I ... 916bsf/ipl

Best,

Sean
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

We'll get your updated coder in ImageMagick 6.3.5-7 sometime tomorrow. Thanks.
seanburke1979

Post by seanburke1979 »

Excellent! Thanks.

Sean
seanburke1979

Post by seanburke1979 »

Looks like it didn't get into 6.3.5-7 or 8. Our public ftp server only holds accounts for one week (don't ask). Here is an updated link:
ftp://depot.aecom.yu.edu/pub/UNm0FMt06357hE9MO986/ipl.c

As always, drop me a line if there any questions or problems.

Sean
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

We got your update IPL coder into ImageMagick 6.3.5-9 Beta a week or so ago. See ftp://ftp.imagemagick.org/pub/ImageMagick/beta .
seanburke1979

Post by seanburke1979 »

Ahh, ok. I wasn't aware that there was a separate beta release. Sorry for the confusion.

Sean
anthony
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by anthony »

seanburke1979, is your coder now in place?
Does it save HDRI floating point values correctly.

I am wanting to add it to the list of image formats that are HDRI compatible in IM Examples section on HDRI
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/basics/#hdri
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/
seanburke1979

Post by seanburke1979 »

Its funny that you bring that up - I was just working on a Fourier Transform routine for IM. HDRI would be a total necessity for any fourier work. Do you have an example of a floating point HDRI image? If so, you could just convert it from MIFF (for example) to IPL and then back again.
As an aside, I have tested both the float and double types, but only with my own images since I have had such a hard time finding stock HDRI images. A collection of benchmark images would help anyone who is writing a coder.

Best,

Sean
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Go to the OpenEXR site. They have tens of sample HDRI images.
anthony
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by anthony »

seanburke1979 wrote:Its funny that you bring that up - I was just working on a Fourier Transform routine for IM. HDRI would be a total necessity for any fourier work.
Oh that would be good for large scale convolutions, specifically finding sub-images in images as well as other types of image cleaning work. Look forward to it.

though I have seen examples of fourier transformed images using just the 0.0 to 1.0 range. I believe they make 'gray' the 'zero' position, or something like that.

Talk to fred Weinhaus. he would be happy to give you lots of advise on this type of thing. he's been most helpful in my Filter and Resampling work for distortions.
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/
seanburke1979

Post by seanburke1979 »

Sounds good. How do I go about contacting him? I have some working code, but I'm not sure it would pass a security audit. Maybe he can give me some pointers.

Best,

Sean