How to add Solidworks format to ImageMagick

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
seanburke1979

Re: How to add Solidworks format to ImageMagick

Post by seanburke1979 »

Two thoughts:

First, since solid works is an engineering program, it is likely that the solid works file format resembles DXF or postscript. These formats are descriptive of an image (eg. "small cube three units from camera...") rather than an image itself (like a bitmap). If that is the case, and I can't imagine that it isn't, then you will need to write your own solidworks renderer and create images *from* these descriptions. This would be a huge undertaking with little reward - as a former SolidWorks (soiledworks?) user I can remember "the community" chanting (nearly in unison) "Switch to Pro/E or Autocad." I did, begrudingly, and haven't looked back.

Second thought: Someone may have written a library that renders solidworks files already. If this is the case, you can write a wrapper in a weekend or so.

In either case, a solidworks file in IM will have significanty less information in it that the original.

Are you sure that this what you want?