Detection of Noise quantity in an image

Discuss digital image processing techniques and algorithms. We encourage its application to ImageMagick but you can discuss any software solutions here.
Esbasar
Authentication code: 1151

Detection of Noise quantity in an image

Post by Esbasar »

Hello,

I am looking for the articles that are about noise detection in a random image. There is no reference image for this noise detection. I am curious about the literatüre about this topic.

Thanks.
snibgo

Re: Detection of Noise quantity in an image

Post by snibgo »

Esbasar wrote:... about noise detection in a random image.
In a random image? If the image is random, it is entirely noise, isn't it?
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
Esbasar

Post by Esbasar »

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I mean "any single image" by random image term.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Noise is generally very high frequency, i.e. it affects pixels independently of each other. Hence it shows up if we compare histograms of frequency bandwidth-limited versions of the image.

For ordinary digital photographs, as we move up the frequency range, the histograms will normally become narrower. But noise will make the final histogram wider, not narrower, than the previous.

This gives a method for detection and also measurement of noise. It also gives a noise removal technique: adjust the histogram of the highest frequency so it is no wider than the previous.

For examples of these histograms (but not in the context of noise), see my "Multi-scale pyramids" page. I expect an internet search with suitable keywords will find references.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
pcl

Post by pcl »

snibgo wrote:For examples of these histograms (but not in the context of noise), see my "Multi-scale pyramids" page. I expect an internet search with suitable keywords will find references.
A search with multi-scale pyramid "noise estimation" produced four results, the first of which, http://mcolom.perso.math.cnrs.fr/downlo ... IP2014.pdf seem to be particularly useful. Its bibliography gives many references into the literature.