PDF to PS or PDF to PDf

Discuss digital image processing techniques and algorithms. We encourage its application to ImageMagick but you can discuss any software solutions here.
rmschoen
Authentication code: 1152

PDF to PS or PDF to PDf

Post by rmschoen »

We are in the process of replacing our Unix servers with Linux servers. One of our Unix c-shell scripts calls acroread to extract a PS file from a PDF. Then we place the PS file in watch folder to make a downsampled PDF file which will be attached to an email message and sent to the author of the article. I am now trying to duplicate this process on our new Linux server. As there is no Linux version of Acrobat, I need to use some other application. I have tried using ImageMagick and it works fine on PDFs that do not contain color (CMYK) images. If the original PDF does include CMYK images then the resulting PS file looks like a negative of the original. Is there some combination of ImageMagick command line options that will give me the output I want? Or perhaps some application that will allow me to convert PDF to downsampled PDF?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: PDF to PS or PDF to PDf

Post by snibgo »

ImageMagick delegates the work of rasterizing PDF files to Ghostscript. I don't know if GS can do what you want, convert embedded CMYK inages to RGB. I suggest you paste a link to a PDF with embedded CMYK image, so people can test.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
rmschoen
Authentication code: 1152

Re: PDF to PS or PDF to PDf

Post by rmschoen »

You can access my sample PDF here: https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AAA-RzigK ... XGlKNXahx0

Rick