reading wmf files

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
nomoon

reading wmf files

Post by nomoon »

I have been trying to read/convert wmf images of the following type :
Equation 1
Equation 2
Equation 3
which contain text embedded in wmf images. However, each time I tried to read them using display or converting them with convert, ImageMagick would cut off the last "word" in every file: specifically, theta in Equation 1 wouldn't make it through, '111' would be lost from Equation 2, and there wouldn't be any ending '999' in Equation 3.

I tested this behavior on a RedHat 5 server, an Ubuntu desktop (building ImageMagick 6.4.5-7 from sources) and a WindowsXP box using ImageMagick-6.4.6-0-Q16-windows-x64-static.exe.

Thanks
nomoon

Re: reading wmf files

Post by nomoon »

Hrm... apparently silence is the answer.

Anyway, just in case anyone else runs into this issue or anyone cares about this enough to patch the code, I post below the needed changes. For some reason in the standard configuration MAGICKCORE_WMFLITE_DELEGATE (wmflite mode in libwmf) is defined, which requires one defines font_map and font_stringwidth callbacks. Unfortunately, lite_font_stringwidth, which I suppose is defined for this purpose, returns 0 on every string --- never mind, even if it would return its stringwidth value, it would be off. That is the reason I used the standard libwmf stringwidth function for the API.

And here are the changes one needs to make to wmf.c:

Code: Select all

#include "libwmf/font.h"

/* ... */

static void lite_font_init( wmfAPI* API, wmfAPI_Options* options){
/*....*/
font_data->stringwidth = wmf_ipa_font_stringwidth;
/*...*/
}
If all this does not seem to fit in, you may check in libwmf sources src/player/meta.h: meta_text() where the API callback stringwidth is used to compute the width of the string bbox and further the bbox width of the entire image.

Cheers
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

The lite_font_stringwidth() method returns font metrics based on ImageMagick fonts as returned by the Freetype delegate library. When we convert / display your WMF files they return a proper bounding box. We suspect that you might not have Freetype enabled or your Freetype library is older. We're using Freetype 2.2.7. To see which version you are using, type
  • identify -list format
and look at what is associated with the TTF tag.
nomoon

Post by nomoon »

Indeed: I have been using freetype 2.1.10 on one of the machines I tested this with.

However, it still confuses me that lite_font_stringwidth returns 0 always: is this supposed to be the font metric? If I change the last line in the function to "return stringwidth" everything works perfectly. Without this change, I see the incorrect conversion.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

In lite_font_stringwidth() return stringwidth instead of 0. Does that fix the problem for you? In our tests it did not make a difference-- either way the WMF images are rendered properly.
nomoon

Post by nomoon »

Yes it does. And the change seems to be mandatory for me.

By the way, thanks for this great piece of software. I am using it as part of a RTF parser that produces custom XML on the fly: being able to convert and transform WMF was essential (not to mention bmp, jpeg, and png support). Also, I am very impressed with the readability of your sources.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Ok, we'll get a patch into the next point release, 6.4.6-1. Thanks for alerting us to the problem.