bogus nonsense error messages when processing big images

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
matteosistisette
Authentication code: 8675308

bogus nonsense error messages when processing big images

Post by matteosistisette »

When I try to process huge images, I often get a variety of apparently nonsense error messages.
I guess the problem is just that I don't have enough memory (since identical operations on smaller images succeed), so some memory allocation fails causing subsequent errors. Such errors should be detected and reported correctly. If the problem is insufficient memory, it must say "not enough memory". Otherwise, one is left to wonder what's wrong with the input images.

Additionally, whenever possible, memory availability should be checked _before_ starting a potentially long operation, so as to avoid having the user wait a long time only for a failure, but that's a separate issue that I've already reported.
magick
Site Admin

Re: bogus nonsense error messages when processing big images

Post by magick »

Again, this is issue with your OS. You can change the memory allocation method of your OS to ensure memory is pre-allocated and ImageMagick will gracefully exit with "unable to allocate memory" otherwise your OS will "kill" the ImageMagick with the "Killed" exception message. The best solution is to force image pixels to disk with "-limit area 0".
matteosistisette

No, I'm not talking about the "killed" error message here. I get strange error messages that are clearly generated by ImageMagick, not the OS.

Even if the failure to allocate is due to the OS, ImageMagick should output a meaningful error message.
matteosistisette

I mean, regarding the first part of my original post (the bogus error messages).
anthony

Post by anthony »

Perhaps you should report what sort of 'bogus' messages you are referring to!

I know of no such messages that IM would generate, unless some -debug or -monitor operational control is enabled!
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/