Possible text alignment issue with IM6 and IM7

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
GeeMack
Authentication code: 1151

Possible text alignment issue with IM6 and IM7

Post by GeeMack »

Using Windows 7 64 and both of these versions of IM...

ImageMagick 6.9.3-6 Q16 x64 2016-02-28 (installed from ImageMagick-6.9.3-6-Q16-HDRI-x64-static.exe)

ImageMagick 7.0.0-0 Q16 x64 2016-02-28 (installed from ImageMagick-7.0.0-0~beta20160228-Q16-HDRI-x64-static.exe)

I'm having an issue with the alignment of text using "magick" or "convert" in a command like this...

Code: Select all

magick -pointsize 24 label:"ONE TWO" test.png
When specifying a point size of pretty much anything over the default of 12, or with a higher density setting like 300, the last couple rows of pixels on the right side get clipped off and the last column of pixels on the right is all white. It's especially noticeable if that last character is a wide one, like an upper case "O" or a zero, something that takes up the entire width.

It happens if I specify any value for kerning, even a negative value. It doesn't show up in some cases with gravity settings other than default, but when I specify an italic version of a font like this...

Code: Select all

convert -font arial-bold-italic -pointsize 120 -gravity center label:"ONE TWO" test.png
... a bit of that last character seems to fall outside the image boundaries under any conditions.

I don't know if this may be something other people have trouble with and if the developers should look into it.
magick
Site Admin

Re: Possible text alignment issue with IM6 and IM7

Post by magick »

Thanks for the problem report. We can reproduce it and will have a patch to fix it in GIT master branch @ https://github.com/ImageMagick/ImageMagick later today. The patch will be available in the beta releases of ImageMagick @ http://www.imagemagick.org/download/beta/ by sometime tomorrow.
GeeMack
Authentication code: 1151

Re: Possible text alignment issue with IM6 and IM7

Post by GeeMack »

magick wrote:The patch will be available in the beta releases of ImageMagick...
I have done some simple testing with more recent beta releases, and it appears this issue has been resolved. As always, thanks to everyone involved in making this software work!