Vector processing issues in 6.9.X.X

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
Cirrus
Authentication code: 1151

Vector processing issues in 6.9.X.X

Post by Cirrus »

I am using CloudLinux which has always had issues with certain kinds of vectors being processed via PHP Imagick with Image Magick version 6.9.X.X. For some reason it hangs or gives out fatal errors, or eats up far too much memory.

If the same vector is processed in 6.8.X.X no issue arises.

Test file: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=578 ... 2011029571

Can someone else confirm this issue?
snibgo

Re: Vector processing issues in 6.9.X.X

Post by snibgo »

That file converts fine for me, with IM v6.9.5-3 and Ghostscript 9.19. If you have an old Ghostscript, I suggest you upgrade it.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
Cirrus

Post by Cirrus »

Hi there - thanks for testing.

So a couple of follow ups:

1) Did you test via PHP or via the command line?
2) Can you explain why the same file works when using 6.8.X.X? Does installing a different version of ImageMagick change the ghostscript version?
3) If the ghostscript version stays the same, does that mean it's possible that ImageMagick 6.8.x + Ghostscript 8.70 works but ImageMagick 6.9.x + Ghostscript 8.70 does not? If this is the case, is there anyone that can run a test of this to confirm?
4) Can you provide me a command line that permits me to test resizing this EPS via the command line as I am not too familiar with it. As it does not work within PHP I am wondering if it will similarly not work via the command line.

Thanks.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

1) I used this command:

Code: Select all

convert test.eps test_eps.png
The result is:

2) Hanging or eating memory suggest the problem is in Ghostscript. What error messages do you get? For EPS files, IM starts by just giving the file to Ghostscript to rasterize. Then IM saves that as whatever format.

3)
Cirrus wrote:does that mean it's possible that ImageMagick 6.8.x + Ghostscript 8.70 works but ImageMagick 6.9.x + Ghostscript 8.70 does not?
That is unlikely, but possible. "-verbose" should tell you the Ghostscript command that is used. Are those commands the same? Is one bad? With a bit of hacking, you can call GS in the same way. But GS 8.70 is very old anyway, and I suggest you upgrade. Perhaps GS changed, and IM changed to suit and no longer works correctly with old GS.

4) I rotate by 90 degrees clockwise, and halve the size:

Code: Select all

convert test.eps -rotate 90 -resize 50% test2_eps.png
I don't use PHP, but I understand you can use IMagick (which is software that layers over ImgeMgick), or "exec()" which simply uses command such as I've shown.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com