Unusual header in Radiance HDR files (#?RGBE)

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
gregzaal
Authentication code: 1152

Unusual header in Radiance HDR files (#?RGBE)

Post by gregzaal »

When using an HDR compiled ImageMagick to resize a .hdr file, ImageMagick puts "#?RGBE" in the file header instead of "#?RADIANCE", causing compatibility issues with some software.

It seems #?RADIANCE is correct as it's accepted by all software I've tested, whereas #?RGBE is only supported occasionally. As far as I know they are the same format.

Photoshop, Blender, PTGui and Picturenaut all write HDR files with the #?RADIANCE header; to my knowledge it seems only ImageMagick uses the #?RGBE header though I guess there must be others too.

Software known to work with the #?RADIANCE header but not the #?RGBE header: Unreal Engine, Corona Engine in 3Ds Max and Daz Studio. There are likely more though these are the only ones I've received emails about. Developers from cmftStudio and LizardQ Viewer also mentioned the problem to me and said that they were able to support the unusual header by treating the file the same as if it had the #?RADIANCE header instead.
magick
Site Admin

Re: Unusual header in Radiance HDR files (#?RGBE)

Post by magick »

Thanks for the problem report. We can reproduce it and will have a patch to fix it in GIT master branch @ https://github.com/ImageMagick/ImageMagick later today. The patch will be available in the beta releases of ImageMagick @ http://www.imagemagick.org/download/beta/ by sometime tomorrow.
gregzaal
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Unusual header in Radiance HDR files (#?RGBE)

Post by gregzaal »

Thanks! That was fast :)