Issue with Average in ImageMagick-6.3.7-1-Q16-windows-dll...

PerlMagick is an object-oriented Perl interface to ImageMagick. Use this forum to discuss, make suggestions about, or report bugs concerning PerlMagick.
GreyBeard

Issue with Average in ImageMagick-6.3.7-1-Q16-windows-dll...

Post by GreyBeard »

Greetings,

I have been using PerlMagick (under Windows XP) for a while to create animated GIF files from JPG pictures. Just had to rebuild my development machine (as the old one finally died, lost track of what the older version was in the process, have not touched this code for at least a year) and thus upgraded to the current version of ImageMagick only to find that the average method no longer returns the same results. I have looked through the comments on the board but am not sure if the pending fix will address what I am seeing.

Background:

In creating the animated GIF, I create tween images by loading the first and second image into a new ImageMagick object and then use the average command. The older version of ImageMagick would then return a merged image that contained visual elements of both the original images. With the current version of ImageMagick the returned image appears to be a slightly offset and blurry version of the first image.

Is this a known bug, or has the usage of average changed?

Here is the basic code:
$tweenImage = Image::Magick->new();
$tweenImage->Read("firstimage.mff");
$tweenImage->Read("secondimage.mff");
$imgAvg = $tweenImage->Average();
$imgAvg->Write("miff:tweenimage.mff");

Thanks
magick
Site Admin

Re: Issue with Average in ImageMagick-6.3.7-1-Q16-windows-dll...

Post by magick »

The problem you reported is fixed in ImageMagick 6.3.7-2 Beta scheduled for release within a week or two.
GreyBeard

Post by GreyBeard »

Thanks, guess I just need to wait then.

Is there a patched version available before that?
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

You can grab the patch from ftp://ftp.imagemagick.org/pub/ImageMagick/beta now.