Perlmagick crashing msvcr90.dll

PerlMagick is an object-oriented Perl interface to ImageMagick. Use this forum to discuss, make suggestions about, or report bugs concerning PerlMagick.
brancusi

Perlmagick crashing msvcr90.dll

Post by brancusi »

As a follow up regarding a new install on Windows XP here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14731

I have imagemagick working ok and have now installed the correct version of perl, uninstalled IM and re-installed and it is now only partially working. My app reads and writes PNG files and then makes thumbnails from these png files. It is running fine on dozens of windows 2003 boxes without incident.

Under this XP install, it will read and write the PNG OK, but when I make a thumbnail using Image::Magick::Thumbnail::Fixed I get a crash as follows;

(Perl command line interpreter has encountered a problem and needs to close ...)

AppVer: 5.10.1.1006
ModName: msvcr90.dll
ModVer: 9.0.30729.1
Offset: 006b917

Exception Code : 0xc0000417

This is under 6.5.6-4-Q16.dll, if I use Q8 I get a crash at exactly the same point, same module, dll etc, but when I exit the error dialog, the perl application reports a problem reading the PNG file it has just written.

I'm a bit puzzled as to what is wrong here. I've had perlmagick running fine on XP before on several different systems but there is clearly something odd about these newer versions.

Any clues?

Thanks
brancusi
brancusi

Re: Perlmagick crashing msvcr90.dll

Post by brancusi »

I should have added that if I use the command line convert tool, png to jpg works just fine, the crash seems specific to perlmagick.

brancusi
brancusi

Re: Perlmagick crashing msvcr90.dll

Post by brancusi »

As a final update, it was Image::Magick::Thumbnail::Fixed that was causing the crash. If I use Image::Magick::Thumbnail and recode the program section, it works fine. On first glance I can't see which particular operation in Thumbnail::Fixed is causing the problem, but at least it has fixed my problem - hope this info helps someone else with the same problem.

brancusi