ImageMagickObject and Server 2008 x64

ImageMagickObject is a Windows COM+ interface to ImageMagick. COM+, Visual Basic, and Delphi users should post to this discussion group.
smith@lkpd.org

ImageMagickObject and Server 2008 x64

Post by smith@lkpd.org »

I posted a request for help last week about this subject and it disappeared.

I need to install ImageMagickObject on x64 Server 2008, but it does not register.

(1) x86 install of static registers without problem, but will not instantiate object in vbscript.

(2) x64 install of static will not register at all.

Using dependency walker finds that three system module dll's are missing.

gpsvc.dll
linkinfo.dll
mqrt.dll

Mqrt.dll is installed with message queueing as an optional feature.

The other two are a mystery to me.

Anyone got any ideas?
magick
Site Admin

Re: ImageMagickObject and Server 2008 x64

Post by magick »

The ImageMagick developers have not gotten ImageMagickObject to compile with 64-bits yet so we include a 32-bit version. Its probably as simple as setting proper compile / load switches in the BuildImageMagickObject script. However, we are primarily Linux / Unix developers and could use help deciding which switches are needed for a 64-bit build of ImageMagickObject.
smith@lkpd.org

Post by smith@lkpd.org »

ImageMagickObject links to the three system dll's mentioned above that are available in other versions of windows, but not in the standard install of x64 WinServer2008 with the roles web and file server installed.

(1) If they are not used then don't include them in the compile. This would work for all versions of the COM object.

(2) If they are used and available, as is mcrt in the message queuing "feature" for Server 2008, please tell us "whatprovides" the dll in which "feature".

(3) If a system dll will no longer be available in future versions of Windows, or the name changed (as I believe is the situation with gpsrv), then alternatives will need to be found.

I am not conversant enough with the ImageMagick source or the new components in Server 2008 to help, sorry. I will look, but I don't think I can help with this.

ImageMagickObject is an important component for many of us - we use it extensively - and we must implement the newer versions of Windows. Please make this a priority. I do understand that you are primarily Linux gurus, but your product spans many OS's, all of them important to their users.

Is there a Windows/ImageMagick guru out there?
smith@lkpd.org

Post by smith@lkpd.org »

Still here. Still the same problem. Is anyone working on a ImageMagickObject install that will work with x64 (Server 2008) version of windows?
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

No one has volunteered to enhance the ImageMagickObject script to support 64-bit. We suspect it would be easy to do, mostly involving adding the right cl compiler options for 64-bit. If you choose to come up with a solution, post it here and we will get your patches into the ImageMagick Subversion trunk.
scotthuston
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by scotthuston »

Has there been any progress on this topic?

I am migrating from a Server 2003 x86 IIS6 environment to Server 2008 R2 (x64) IIS7.5 environment. My site uses Classic ASP and the ImageMagickObject.

I haven't been able to find a combination of installers and settings to make this work. I have tried all of the latest installer kits: x86 & x64, static and dll and never am able to get the tests to complete.

Running the website in x86 mode is not a problem (though not the optimal.) I just need to figure a solution.

Thanks
esoler
Authentication code: 67789

Post by esoler »

Same problem!!! Any solution? IS Imagemagick component DEAD???