COM Convert and Win2003 Terminal Server

ImageMagickObject is a Windows COM+ interface to ImageMagick. COM+, Visual Basic, and Delphi users should post to this discussion group.
Kento

COM Convert and Win2003 Terminal Server

Post by Kento »

I have a VB6 application that works perfectly on my devlopment workstation (WinXP) but when depolyed to our Terminal Server does not work and fails without any error message.

The Server is Win2003 Stardard Edition SP2

The code is:
Dim img As MagickImage
Dim msgs

Set img = New MagickImage
msgs = img.Convert(Trim$("c:\mdctemp\" & Trim$(strImageID) & ".bmp"), "-colorspace", "GRAY", "- colors", "16", strFileName)

- The source image is a bitmap on the server hard drive and I am converting to a TIF on a network share (e.g. strFilename = "\\hbs-1\TSM01\Templates\123456.tif")
- I have similar code that converts .FAX to .TIF that also fails in the same manner
- When running on my workstation, I get a proper return value in msgs but when running in the vb6 DE on the server, msgs is empty.
- The application has run properly for years with on a Windows 2000 server with image magick version 5.4.9. However users needed to be in the administrtor group.
- When I originally attempted to run the application on the 2003 server with 5.4.9, the application would error out "cannot create object" unless you were in the administrator group
- I uninstalled 5.4.9 and installed 6.4.3 (ImageMagick-6.4.3-6-Q16-windows-dll.exe) in an effort to resolve the object creation issue to get to my current state of no error message but no conversion either even when logged in as administrator

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Kent
Kento

Re: COM Convert and Win2003 Terminal Server

Post by Kento »

Ok, well upon further investigation, I discovered that I had the old version of the DLL still on the new server and had my app pointing to it. I have resolved that and the application now works when I am logged in as administrator.

So, that points to privledges.

Is there a summary somewhere of what privledges to what directories a user must have for Convert called from the DLL?

Thanks,

Kent