Animated PNG Support (NOT MNG!)

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
Kagetsuki
Authentication code: 6789

Animated PNG Support (NOT MNG!)

Post by Kagetsuki »

I've been trying to create animated PNG files but have had to resort to using 3rd party tools (apngasm). It is my understanding that APNG is not supported because it is not a standard that is approved by the PNG group, which has chosen to reject APNG in favor of their own standard MNG. The problem is almost nothing in general use supports MNG wheras many things support APNG and, if the application does not support animation natively APNG gracefully degrades to just show the first frame as a standard PNG.

Personally I could care less about what the PNG group thinks of Mozilla APNG. I want a viable solution to animated PNG and MNG is not it. I am however left with the question of weather or not the ImageMagick developers would choose to reject non-standard open formats reguarless of common use? If patches were submitted to allow support for APNG would they be rejected on the grounds of APNG not being an "accepted" standard?
MvGulik
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: Animated PNG Support (NOT MNG!)

Post by MvGulik »

ImageMagick support for APNG would be really nice. (Considering the general support and use of APNG surpasses the use and support of MNG.)

My general image viewer(XnView) don't even supports viewing a animated MNG file as animation, as it defaults to handling it as a image collection. ("use prev/next to browse trough the images" :? ).

---

Link to some older APNG related topic: APNG Support idea (jan 2012)