Help with IM v7

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
Bighead
Authentication code: 6789

Help with IM v7

Post by Bighead »

I've been avoiding v7 all through its beta but now that it has been released, I guess I can't avoid it anymore. I see that "convert.exe" was replaced with "magick.exe", but I'm wondering what happened to identify.exe, composite.exe, etc..? Is there a way to access these through magick? I tried -identify with magick but it does not function the same as identify.exe did. I read the porting guide here but it does not mention the absence of these modules, and even includes an example using identify. But if there is no identify, how do we use it?
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Help with IM v7

Post by fmw42 »

On Windows, you need to install the legacy components to get those. They can be configured from the install windows, I am told. I am not a Windows user.
Bighead
Authentication code: 6789

Re: Help with IM v7

Post by Bighead »

Awesome! That is one way, and it solves all my problems. But, I'm afraid these will become deprecated after awhile and no longer included in v7 after some time, plus it means users will have to know to manually check that box in order for it to work with my powershell script.

After further reading the porting guide, it seems that all of them can be called through magick.exe through symbolic links (for example, 'magick.exe identify image.png' appears to work just like 'identify.exe image.png' does). The only one that doesn't seem to work is composite, but it's possible that I'm using it, or convert, in a wrong way with the way IM7 now handles the order of commands.

Edit: Worked it out with -composite instead of using composite.exe which works fine in both ImageMagick versions. I'm assuming this is why there is no symbolic link to composite, or it was an oversight.