hw to use image magick on hostgator or other hosting company

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
dt59
Authentication code: 1151

hw to use image magick on hostgator or other hosting company

Post by dt59 »

hello hw can i start using image magick on hostgator or other hosting company on the world wide web??
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: hw to use image magick on hostgator or other hosting company

Post by fmw42 »

Ask you service provide at Hostgator or wherever to install ImageMagick. Often they already have it installed, since it comes with most Linux distributions.
dt59

Post by dt59 »

your anwsers are confusing you said
MagickStudio is a web based version of ImageMagick and is hosted on the ImageMagick web site. It can be found elsewhere, but is not supported except on the ImageMagick web site.
and now yo are saying
Ask you service provide at Hostgator or wherever to install ImageMagick. Often they already have it installed, since it comes with most Linux distributions.
where do i go from here.
i want to use image magick to generate dynamic images on my website. note it image magick am asking and not imagick
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

MagickStudio is based upon Imagemagick, but is not the same. MagickStudio only runs from a web service. Other hosts do have MagickStudio, but Imagemagick developers are no longer supporting upgrades on them. Imagemagick itself can be loaded on servers and in fact comes with most Linux distributions. It can be used in Websites via the Imagick or PHP exec() command interface.

Which do you want on a some server? MagickStudio or Imagemagick itself or Imagick?

The former is not likely going to happen. But the latter with its command line interface is possible and probably on the server or can be installed on the server. Imagick may also already be on the server.
dt59

Post by dt59 »

i will want Imagemagick. Then i will then use PHP exec() command interface but my problem now is, i will want to use image magick with hosting services such as bluehost, hostgator, etc. now do they have the imagemagick.dll file? that will allow me run command such as:

Code: Select all

magick label.gif +matte \
  \( +clone  -shade 110x90 -normalize -negate +clone  -compose Plus -composite \) \
  \( -clone 0 -shade 110x50 -normalize -channel BG -fx 0 +channel -matte \) \
  -delete 0 +swap  -compose Multiply -composite  button.gif");
or is that not necessary. All i want is to dynamically generate images for users on my website
dt59

Post by dt59 »

@fmw have taken a bold step by running the script on a hosting account. although it was awesome to discover the script did worked and i noticed that if i typed just a plain code like these:

<?php exec("convert -size 400x400 xc:red davemagick.png",$outp, $return);
if ($return == "0") { echo '<br>Image generation sucssesful<br>'; } 
else { echo '<br>Image generation failed<br>'; } ?> 
the file where i typed these code in gets deleted but if i do something like these

<?php
//comment
exec("convert -size 400x400 xc:blue davemagickw.png",$outp, $return);
else { echo '<br>Image generation failed<br>'; } 
?>
you notice that its just the first line of the code that makes it different from the initial code above. could you pls have any phenomenon attached to that i mean can u help me explain wats going on? thnks for ur time.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

try

<?php
exec("convert -size 400x400 xc:blue davemagickw.png",$outp, $return);
else { echo '<br>Image generation failed<br>'; }
?>

I am not an expert on PHP, but I assume that you need to put your real code on another line besides the first <?php. I think it is trying to just execute only the first command in your case.