Why display command doesn't work?

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
Barabba
Authentication code: 1151

Why display command doesn't work?

Post by Barabba »

Hi everyone, I kindly need your help

I would like to display an image under win10, I start this command line from a dos prompt with administrative privileges:
magick display c:\users\admin\desktop\1.jpg eventually I tried also:
magick display -size 1280x1024 -window root c:\users\admin\desktop\1.jpg like in the examples to give some arguments, in result I have only a scroll with all list of the possible commands. Why display doesn't work?

My purpose is to display a fullscreen picture over a video playing in fullscreen (from mediaplayerclassic). Would be nice to close the picture after some seconds and it would be nice to have alpha blending effect or whatever fading/transaction in and out if it is possible. Purpose is to advertise something over video.

May somebody kindly write me the adeguate command line? Thank you!
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Why display command doesn't work?

Post by fmw42 »

Moved from Consulting to Users forum, since the Consulting forum is only for paid consulting.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

I believe that the display command is only for Unix systems. For Windows, you must use some other tool or something like IM_display. Any Windows user should correct me since I do not use Windows.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

"display.exe" is for X-terminals, or something, that Unix has but Microsoft Windows doesn't. The Windows distribution of IM comes with imdisplay.exe.

Many programs are available to display images, but if you want to fade the image out, or apply transitions, this sounds more like a "slide-show" program.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
Barabba

Post by Barabba »

hi mates, thank you very much for answering me :)
Probably you didn't understand my questions completely, and I'm sure it's because I haven't expressed myself right.

there is not display.exe, neither IM_display.exe, there is only magick.exe, also magick im_display c:\users\admin\desktop\1.jpg doesn't work.

There is any way to use magick.exe to display fullscreen and always on top an image under Windows? If not I can't use it at all.

My purpose is this:
I have a laptop connected to a projector playing a playlist of videos. Over the vide I want to display an image evary 2-3 minutes with some advertising, after some seconds the image will disappear and the background video showed as before. I can manage with a batch file to load the image every xx seconds, I can automatically chose the filename, I just need an image viewer who is able to overlay the video player and better if uses a fading effect in and out.
Can you suggest me a way for doing it? Thank you a lot!
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

The obvious method is to edit the movie, inserting your images at suitable points.
Barabba

Post by Barabba »

unfortunately movies and images change.. I already considered that :(
There should be an image viewer who do that..
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Barabba wrote:unfortunately movies and images change..
So? So re-edit the movie. In batch, of course. ffmpeg would do the job.

I can't think of an easier way. Of course, there is software that will fade a movie in and out, fade stills in and out, and so on. Adobe software can do that (at a price). Action Script can do that (free, last time I used it, but not easy to learn).
Barabba

Post by Barabba »

thank you for your kind suggestion but for me it is not an option.. for different reasons of flexibility (image where put on shared folder and overwritten anytime, according to next events)
I'm looking for an image viewer which I can start from command line, has someone an idea? Thank you
Barabba

Post by Barabba »

I would ask the last question, is it true that under windows Magick can't display the images?
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Barabba wrote: 2017-10-12T15:49:03-07:00 I would ask the last question, is it true that under windows Magick can't display the images?
Yes and no.

The function "display" does not work for Windows. It is a unix function only.

But there is an imdisplay.exe for Windows.

I do not know windows, so do not know if you can do

Code: Select all

magick.exe imdisplay.exe yourimage.suffix
in the same way in Unix you would do

magick display yourimage.suffix
Try and see if it works. Otherwise, one of the Windows users might fill in more details on my comments.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

On Windows, this ...

magick rose: win:
..., or using "show:" instead of "win:", will invoke imdisplay.exe to display the image. Or delegates.xml can be changed so "win:" or "show:" will use any other image viewer. Or imdisplay.exe can be called directly:

imdisplay rose:
But imdisplay.exe doesn't have a "transparency" option to see through the image to a program that is behind it.
GeeMack

Post by GeeMack »

Barabba wrote: 2017-10-12T15:49:03-07:00I would ask the last question, is it true that under windows Magick can't display the images?
A typical Windows IM installation should include ImageMagick's "imdisplay.exe". It's a bare bones viewer with no configuration options, no slide shows or full screen viewing or anything. If you're running "magick" from the command line, "imdisplay" is already in your path, so you should be able to just run it from a command prompt with "imdisplay anyimage.jpg". You could also create a shortcut to it same as you would any other Windows program.

To do what you've described you'll probably need more specialized software, maybe even for video viewing rather than stills. There are video tools like "ffmpeg" and "avisynth" that can be integrated into scripts for near-real-time dynamic content, but the learning curve can be daunting and they're unrelated to this ImageMagick forum.