Can imagemagick do variables (as per photoshop)

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
bruce_d
Authentication code: 1151

Can imagemagick do variables (as per photoshop)

Post by bruce_d »

Hello,

nice to find you.
Im totally noob to imagemagick and programming, so excuse if my question is posted to wrong place.

Can imagemagick batch process photos, as photoshop variables/datasets do it?
That is take information out of a CSV file, and accordingly add text layers or graphic layers on a batch of images (lets say 5-10K images)?

CSV could look like that

photo, name, name2, level
c:\photo0001.jpg,george,bruce,level 2
c:\photo0002.jpg,nik,mark,level 3
c:\photo2311.jpg,john,john,level 2

etc.

All i want to know for the time, is if this is feasible. Not really how to do it. If it can really can be done, i will explore if it worth changing my current workflow. I work with photoshop's variables, atm.

Thank you in advance for your time
snibgo

Re: Can imagemagick do variables (as per photoshop)

Post by snibgo »

IM won't read a CSV and process files as specified by values in the CSV.

Instead, a shell script would read the CSV and call IM once per line, passing IM the values of environment variables it has read from the CSV.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
bruce_d

Re: Can imagemagick do variables (as per photoshop)

Post by bruce_d »

Thank you for your answer.

Photoshop is very nice but quite clumsy, and i believe much slower (it needs to create .psd files, and then convert them to .jpgs), so i will try to give it a try.
I will go on reading now, about fonts etc now before asking things that im sure have been analysed before.

Thank you again.