Help requested: screen capture

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
Neunhoffer
Authentication code: 1152

Help requested: screen capture

Post by Neunhoffer »

I am the keeper of an automated weather station that transmits wind data from a remote sensor ashore to an unmanned desktop application running on a Windows 10 platform. The application produces an image that appears in its own dedicated wimdow

I have need to take a screen snapshot of the image produced by the application once per minute on a 24/7 basis. I propose to use a .bat file run by Windows Task Scheduler.

The imdisplay documentation suggests that a command line of

imdisplay -screen "screen_name" -write C;\users\public\pictures\wind.jpg

where "screen-name" is the name that appears in the top left-hand corner of the window, and wind.jpg is the file name of the produced screen snapshot.

should work, but doesn't.

Other sections of the documentation indicate that the package ONLY handles images that have already been produced..

Question:
Can imdisplay take screen snapshots, or am I barking up the wrong tree.

If it can, what is the correct command line syntax, and if not, can any-one point me in the direction of a software package that will focus a window then take a screen snapshot..

Thanking you in anticipation
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: Help requested

Post by snibgo »

On Windows, this captures the entire screen, then crops to a certain rectangle, then saves to x.png

Code: Select all

convert screenshot: -crop 400x300+20+20 +repage x.png
An alternative is IrfanView, which can capture just the foreground window, or just the client area of the foreground window.

PS: I've taken the liberty of changing your title, to help users and search engines.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com